SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with great sadness that I said goodbye to my 9-3. After 7 years and 10 months I said goodbye to my 2004, Saab 9-3 Aero on Memorial day a couple of months ago. :cry:

In 2004 we bought 2 Saab 9-3s. My wife got a 9-3 Linear first, I liked its looks and handling so much, 4 months later I bought an 04, Aero SS 6M. I used it for 7 years and 10 months. In this time I put in 63,300 miles, went through 4 sets of tires, one set of break pads and disks, a battery and about 13 oil changes (I just change it about every 5-6k, oil change indicator only shows up about every 11k miles). I had one major repair about 3 months after the warranty ran out. The idler on the cam and balance shaft chain somehow got stuck in one position and they had to change all sprockets and the chain on the engine. This one was painful at $3700. :x Other than that she had done well until a few months ago when things started acting up again. The head lights went out, all four tires were on the indicator, the gas gauge was acting up (when ever I put full tank, it would show empty until I drive about 70-80 miles) and the driver seat warmer went out just at the end of last winter. Of course it did have quite a few electronic gremlins throughout its life, nothing drastic, just annoyances like windows not closing due to pinch protection setting or the on star saying that there is a malfunction, and many more. So a couple of months ago the central bank told me to go get me a new car and I traded the Aero for an Acura TL SH-AWD.

I have been driving the TL for 2+ months, but I still miss the 9-3. It is very surprising that 8 years ago the Saab had almost all the bells and whistles I have in the 2012 TL today, and some of them don’t work as well as that in the Saab. Take for example the climate control system; I can set the 9-3 CCS to 70F in summer and I will only go down 2F if the day was really hot. On the TL, I have been adjusting it up and down between 66F and 74F depending on how much or how little sun light is coming in.

I miss the handling, the steering feel and above all the turbo. Also I cannot forget the great gas mileage. The 03 to 05 9-3 SS, especially the Aero, was and still is one of the best looking cars on the road. Few years ago, before the GM/SAAB issues, I was thinking when the time comes I will get another Saab. I wish Saab, the company was alive, and making cars, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I dont really know who has my car now. I know it was on the used car lot at the dealer for only one week, and it was gone. If any one here picked up a 2004, steel gray 9-3 Aero from Crown Acura of Greensboro, NC around end of May to beginning of June, you now have my precious metal baby. Take good care of her.

Also, thank you to all the very helpful people here that answered my questions. I will continue to visit this forum from time to time to see how the rest of the SAAB owners are doing.

Best regards and have fun driving those turbos. :D:D

Vip.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Farewell! Well at least this car will always have a special place in your heart. But it seems like you didn't have much luck w/ the car given all of the problems it had and it only had 63k! Most cars will not have a single problem until ~90-100k IMO.

Good bye from my saab:

·
Registered
207 Posts
See ya fella... I may well be joining you... since owning my 2003 Saab Aero from July 2008, it's gone from around 64k to 160k miles... body wise still in great condition and interior is spotless... but time to say bye bye and possibly go M5 now... need something faster.

Its currently in for the steering knuckle which has gone so there's more money and the turbo keeps dropping boost so getting that checked and fixed then I'm afraid it'll be going on the market for a new home. I don't expect to get much for it tbh as the mileage is high but it'll have 10 months MOT on it, taxed etc and be nicely servied... I reckon with that mileage, I'll be looking at around £950 GBP... shame... and mental really for a 210bhp Saloon lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts