SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my girlfriends 2007 9-3 Aero 2.8T and was replacing the fan relay control module and came across something odd...
I pulled a fan control module off a 2007 9-3 2.0 at the junkyard, and everything looked good, until I tried to plug in the connectors. Each plug has a slot that prevents them from being plugged into the wrong fan; the plug & wires that originate from the bottom of the module goes to the passenger side fan, and the plug & wires from the top left (drivers side) of the module go to the drivers side fan. On the replacement fan module, the connectors are the opposite. The connector coming from the bottom will only fit on the drivers side, and the top left connector only fits the passenger side. I tried to connect them but the wires won't reach, so I cut the connectors off and swapped their locations, but don't know if they're now getting the wrong signals or controlled differently.

Also, when I crossed the part numbers on eSaabparts.com, it's showing that both cars take the same fan control module (part# 24418357) but this doesn't make sense since the connectors are flipped. Am I missing something? I'll attach some pics in a bit to better clarify what I'm trying to sort out. Has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the connector coming off the bottom of the module, and was connected to the passenger side fan. The groove the arrow is pointing to only allows it to connect to that fan, which is why I tried swapping them via cutting and splicing them.

and here's both connectors for comparison...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed eSaabparts.com is listing the right parts, but according to what I experienced, they aren't a perfect replacement. Anyone know what's going on here? Here's what came out of her 2007 9-3 Aero 2.8T...

The back side looks different, but I don't see anything like this version on any of the online parts sites, or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Part number for the B284 version is 12761749
Must be some differences versus B207 version which is p/n 24418357
So I would put back the original and check the wiring to it from the ECU as the pin control is probably different.

Try and stick to one thread.......I see you have a few on the go for the same issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 12761749 is the superseded part number, and 24418357 is the new number, for both the 2.0 and the 2.8

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
EPC agrees on the above superceeded part number for all the other engine types apart from the B284 V6
Clearly something is wrong with the supplied part as the wiring plugs needed to be hacked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also looking at the back side of the part, the resistors (?) and coil look different as well. I don't know if the module sends different signals to each fan, or if both fans get the same signal, but something is definitely amiss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although, after doing some more google image searches, I noticed that the only ones that look similar (with the white plastic backing) are listed as a 2006 part, so I'm wondering if it might be tied to GM doing a half year type thing. (that her 2007 9-3 is actually a late 2006 model that sold as a 2007)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts