SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new tires... looking for all season, H rated tires that can handle wet and slush on hilly narrow twisty roads. Anyone with experience with this brand? Or, something else?

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I would say that, if it comes in your size, you can't go wrong with Michelin Premier A/S tires. They are probably okay in slush, and they're fine in wet and dry driving.

I don't know Falken specifically, but from my experience and those of friends, I'm generally skeptical of Korean and Japanese tire brands, certianly for tire wear (Japanese) or traction (Korean).

Now there will be twenty people to dispute this. :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I would go to a site like Tire Rack and read their tests and reviews.

Everything is a compromise. IMO one is better off with the major brands unless they are not in your budget.
And all season tires that are best in snow can tend to be more noisy.

If you do a lot of winter driving (I realize you live in Virginia) get snow tires on a second set of cheap wheels.
While it seems you are paying for two sets of tires but not really as you get the tire life of two tire sets also.
And a second set of cheap wheels is less expensive than changing no balancing twice a year. And your second set can be a narrower tire ratio for better traction

When I lived in Illinois and Indiana I always had snow tires.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Falken I bought sucked so bad I took them off and sold them a week after installation. Some folks like them.

Michelin you cant go wrong.

I bought Toyo Proxess 4 this time around for the 9 5 . They cold spot after sitting so thump for a couple of klicks. Traction is ok. I would not buy them again

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Back in the eighties, Falkens were like Kumhos. An inexpensive new tire brand that quickly developed a reputation for delivering a good bang for the buck. Guys bought them for use on track days so they would not shave down their expensive Big Name tires but still have decent performance on the track. Sumitomo owns Falken and manufactures Falken tires in Tonawanda, NY, since 2016.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yeah, the Azenis line has been pretty solid for a long time - I generally like them for their price point.

If going all seasons, I'm not sure I would cheap out as there is a big gap between "h rated all season tires" and "great h rated all season tires." Cheap tires when you are commuting on dry pavement is one thing, but I'm less a fan of cheap tires when interesting road conditions become a challenge. IMHO, spend the extra, get a decent tire like the Conti DWS, Pilot AS, or Pzero AS.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
If going all seasons, I'm not sure I would cheap out as there is a big gap between "h rated all season tires" and "great h rated all season tires." Cheap tires when you are commuting on dry pavement is one thing, but I'm less a fan of cheap tires when interesting road conditions become a challenge. IMHO, spend the extra, get a decent tire like the Conti DWS, Pilot AS, or Pzero AS.

Tirerack says that the tires on a 1991 900S are 185/65-15 or 195/60-15. Not gonna get a lot of Pzeros in that size. :cheesy:

I had the 195/60 Premiers on my 900S (1997 version) and they worked very well. I stand by my recommendation.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Seems like a crap-ton of money to spend on a basic touring tire, but hey, you do you.

Finding 15" tires is a hen's teeth operation these days though, so I guess you gotta take what you can get.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I would say that, if it comes in your size, you can't go wrong with Michelin Premier A/S tires. They are probably okay in slush, and they're fine in wet and dry driving.

I don't know Falken specifically, but from my experience and those of friends, I'm generally skeptical of Korean and Japanese tire brands, certianly for tire wear (Japanese) or traction (Korean).

Now there will be twenty people my ip birthday wishes tneb to dispute this. :cheesy:
Falken I bought sucked so bad I took them off and sold them a week after installation. Some folks like them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently put the falken pro g5 sport A/S in 205 50 16 on my 99 9-3 and, so far, they are really good in the dry and rain. For an a/s street tire that is. I havent had any hydroplaning yet. I haven't had them long enough to say much more than that.

Surprisingly grippy. And quiet, until you push them. Responsive steering. Good road feel, might be a bit much for some people.

Beyond that... Idk... This is my first set of falken tires. So far they are the best tires that I have put on the Snaab, but then, I go through tires too fast to be buying michilan or conti.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Followup...
These pro g5 tires are really decent... They exhibit a low howl long before anything random happens... No hydroplaning to speak of, 12k and no noticeable uneven wear.

Confidence is the one word i would use to describe these tires.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
I heard that Falken are improved I still would not buy them. I bought Toyo proxes 4 last summer on recommendation of my indie friend . Nice tire not cheap not expensive. BUT no grip and less grip in the rain. Selling them. Probably go Pilot S Michelin ... still thinking

·
Registered
121 Posts
Grip has been my main gripe with tires on this car. Because im a cheap ***... I have been through a set of...

Douglas sport touring... They were cheap, round and held air.... Thats about all the good things i can say

aspen sport touring... Ok road feel, nice stiff sidewalls, decent dry traction but hydroplaned like a b...

kumho something or other that had no traction ever and were SOOO LOUD... Im not one to buy tires when i don't "need" them, but these...were replaced after 2-3 months

The Pirelli tires, that were old when i got the car, were better than the Douglas, too bad they separated after sitting so much for so long (1600 miles in 6 years).

Most of these were 50k tires but with the sh*tshow that is texas roads and their general lack of traction, i think the aspens lasted 15-20k before i replaced them. Everything else was replaced as my budget allowed due to "no faith".

These falken tires have been amazing by comparison. My car never gets out of line without a warning, even in the wet. I dont randomly change direction when i hit standing water, the rear doesn't just decide to slide out suddenly on a corner, i no longer light up the fronts trying to leave a parking lot. And my car turns and stops right now.. I didn't think my abs was working until these tires...

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Judging an entire tire brand by one or two models is silly. Even the biggest brands make crappy cheap tires. Falken Azenis used to he THE go to for budget track days and autox, but Kumho Ecsta or even Hankook Ventus sort of took over that... and then ALL of them diluted those lines by selling Azenis Touring or Ventus Noble or whatever.

Every season you gotta look around and see what's good. Sure, Pilot Sport is always going to be a safe bet, but that doesn't mean there aren't gems all over the price spectrum.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Just lol. I still would not buy Falken
Based on my experience. I bought khaki Ecsta something or other off eBay in 2014 for 65 dollars each on eBay. I figured how could I go wrong at that price ? They were awesome. But already two years old when I got them new. Last spring it was time to change. The khumo were now well worn , noisy and had always cold flat spotted. So Toyo was recommended. In a moment of insanity I took the advice. They are low grip rain or shine and cold flat spot as well Fail. The brands i have never ever gone wrong with are : Dunlop direzza 1/2/3 ; Bridgestone Potenza ; Michelin X and Pilot ; and long ago Goodyear Eagle. Snow tires ALWAYS Nokian. BITD Michelin X were the ultimate. Also the first radial.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hard to throw a thousand dollars worth of tires on a thousand dollar car when i expected the thing to die at any time, because "saab isnt reliable", or so i thought...

Now, 6 years later, i wish i would have just started with a better tire, but hey... I thought the 9-3 was a pedestrian passenger car, like a buick, when i got it.

I was wrong on all my first thoughts about my saab. Now i will drive her to death for real. Hopefully that Will be a few more years.

I certainly am not judging an entire brand off of one tire.
I had previously used all the brands that i mentioned, except falken, on other vehicles with no complaints.
I was just saying that the specific falken pro g5 that i have experience with has been fantastic.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Toyo Proxes is a highly respected line, but like everyone else the Proxes R line has been diluted with things like the Plus and Sport line. Have have Proxes R1R or R888 on your car? You're a monster. Have a Proxes 4 Plus on your car? You probably drive a Buick. Slowly.

Every full line manufacturer has good tires and bad. That's why they're called "full line manufacturers."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts