SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new tires... looking for all season, H rated tires that can handle wet and slush on hilly narrow twisty roads. Anyone with experience with this brand? Or, something else?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I would say that, if it comes in your size, you can't go wrong with Michelin Premier A/S tires. They are probably okay in slush, and they're fine in wet and dry driving.

I don't know Falken specifically, but from my experience and those of friends, I'm generally skeptical of Korean and Japanese tire brands, certianly for tire wear (Japanese) or traction (Korean).

Now there will be twenty people to dispute this. :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I would go to a site like Tire Rack and read their tests and reviews.

Everything is a compromise. IMO one is better off with the major brands unless they are not in your budget.
And all season tires that are best in snow can tend to be more noisy.

If you do a lot of winter driving (I realize you live in Virginia) get snow tires on a second set of cheap wheels.
While it seems you are paying for two sets of tires but not really as you get the tire life of two tire sets also.
And a second set of cheap wheels is less expensive than changing no balancing twice a year. And your second set can be a narrower tire ratio for better traction

When I lived in Illinois and Indiana I always had snow tires.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Falken I bought sucked so bad I took them off and sold them a week after installation. Some folks like them.

Michelin you cant go wrong.

I bought Toyo Proxess 4 this time around for the 9 5 . They cold spot after sitting so thump for a couple of klicks. Traction is ok. I would not buy them again

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
Back in the eighties, Falkens were like Kumhos. An inexpensive new tire brand that quickly developed a reputation for delivering a good bang for the buck. Guys bought them for use on track days so they would not shave down their expensive Big Name tires but still have decent performance on the track. Sumitomo owns Falken and manufactures Falken tires in Tonawanda, NY, since 2016.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah, the Azenis line has been pretty solid for a long time - I generally like them for their price point.

If going all seasons, I'm not sure I would cheap out as there is a big gap between "h rated all season tires" and "great h rated all season tires." Cheap tires when you are commuting on dry pavement is one thing, but I'm less a fan of cheap tires when interesting road conditions become a challenge. IMHO, spend the extra, get a decent tire like the Conti DWS, Pilot AS, or Pzero AS.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
If going all seasons, I'm not sure I would cheap out as there is a big gap between "h rated all season tires" and "great h rated all season tires." Cheap tires when you are commuting on dry pavement is one thing, but I'm less a fan of cheap tires when interesting road conditions become a challenge. IMHO, spend the extra, get a decent tire like the Conti DWS, Pilot AS, or Pzero AS.

Tirerack says that the tires on a 1991 900S are 185/65-15 or 195/60-15. Not gonna get a lot of Pzeros in that size. :cheesy:

I had the 195/60 Premiers on my 900S (1997 version) and they worked very well. I stand by my recommendation.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Seems like a crap-ton of money to spend on a basic touring tire, but hey, you do you.

Finding 15" tires is a hen's teeth operation these days though, so I guess you gotta take what you can get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts