SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a camping trip to Poconos this weekend. After 50 miles or so travel in the mountains, I took a quick coffee stop. When I started the car again, I saw the temperature gauge went all the way to 10 o'clock, almost 10:30. There was no CEL. The car had always been running at normal temperature--around 9 o'clock. So I turned the car off and let it cool down a bit. After 5 minutes or so, I restarted the car, and the temperature gauge reading became normal (9 o'clock) and it stayed normal throughout the trip (with multiple stops).

So is the occasional incorrect reading of the temperature gauge a symptom of failing thermostat? Or temperature gauge? Since I have a V6, I wanted to make sure that it's thermostat before I attempt the job again. Last time while I was replacing the oil cooler, I wasn't able to budge the thermostat housing off the pipe... So I am not so looking forward to this PITA job any time soon. Thanks for your insights!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Could just be because you had the car sitting baking in the sun. Usually cars get hotter before it cools down, so the intermittent stops usually results in a higher temperature if the car is turned off in between

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did check coolant levels. It's in the normal range and there hasn't been any coolant leak since I replaced the oil cooler months ago.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, and I doubt there is any air pocket in the cooling system as the car has been running fine, temperature gauge is stable at 9 o'clock when warm, and coolant level has stayed the same since the oil cooler replacement about 2 months ago.

This is the first time the temperature gauge worked erratically, and it all went back to normal when I let it cool down (radiator fans kicked in normally) and started again. I guess I will have to keep an eye on coolant temperature and level until there are more definitive symptoms coming up.

Ahhh and you bled the sytem after running for a bit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts