SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SID speaker was nonfunctional in one of the 9-5s, so we swapped in another one we pulled from another car. The sticker says it was remanufactured. The remanufactured one worked perfectly. Ding'd at all the right times, and the pixels worked... for about an hour. Then we turned the car on, it got halfway through a ding, and it stopped. At this point I thought we had an electrical issue that was blowing the speakers. My cousin continued driving the car for a day, and he told me it would work intermittently. Like 95% no sound, and 5% sound on occasion. Given this was the case with both SIDs, I'm assuminng there's a wiring, or signal issue going on? (Though unlikely, 2 defective SIDs?) Is this a common or known issue, or will we be investigating this from scratch?

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
I'm not sure how many devices send separate signals to SID to make noise. Does the SID make the bing-bing-bing noise if you don't fasten your seatbelt, or leave the keys in the car and open the door?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt make noise at all :/ not for SID warnings (rear light failure), keys in ignition, etc Sometimes I can catch it trying to make noise, a crackling low volume attempt at a beep. But I cant replicate it consistently. Weird to have it work fine, turn signals and all, and then have it not. May require tearing it apart

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
You can take out the SID, open it up, and see the condition of the speaker. To go any further, the existing speaker would need to be desoldered. I actually did that to an NG900 SID, and it worked fine. I don't consider myself to be a whiz-bang solderer, either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling it's not the speaker, unless the solder points are corroded or loose. The reason being that it functions fully at times. A burnt voicecoil likely wouldnt be intermittent? Do you know of a way to trigger the speaker manually? Applying a small voltage somewhere on some wire? I'm guessing that would involve some kind of very low voltage sign wave. Atleast then I could apply that signal directly to the speaker, and work my way backwards until I lose the sound, then find the short

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Well, you need to look in WIS at the wiring diagram for your model car and see what connections SID has.

For 2003, as far as I can see, all the more sophisticated information, including the turn signals operating, come to SID via I bus from MIU. Therefore, I assume that if it's showing DTE, average speed, etc. correctly, it's not a wiring problem as all that data, as well as the lights flashing info, comes over the I bus.

You'd have to verify this in case I've missed something, or your model year is different.

If the problem is within SID, you might as well pull the speaker and see. I did have a defective NG900 speaker. All it would take is say the wiring to the coil to be frayed.

I guess you could try putting a signal directly on the speaker, but that could possibly affect the SID.

Basically, if you do the research I suggested in WIS and determine that it's not wiring (I doubt it is, for what it's worth), then you might as well open up the SID. I don't think we can tell you anything more at this point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is super helpful. I forgot to mention it is a 1999 though, but I'll check the WIS. It's likely a CAN signal that triggers a pre-loaded sound from a chip on the board. So like you said if the I-bus is communicating properly with the SID, it's likely the speaker. We'll tear down the old SID and report what we find!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar problem with mine - except it's not intermittent, just suddenly no noise at all from any functions that should come through that speaker. I thought I would get a new speaker and solder it on - however when looking at the board behind the speaker I can't identify which are the rear solder connections. Can I just prise the speaker up/off and do it from the front?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wouldn't recommend that. It's easy to find. Look around the speaker from the front, you'll see two posts that go into the board. Now from the back locate those two posts. They're easy to see, they're thicker and stick out farther than anything else. I just removed mine. The speaker is held down with strong double sided foam adhesive. I ended up trying to break free the speaker from the foam before removing the solder (because removing the soldered-in pins was impossible with it glued down). I ended up breaking off the speaker from the pins, leaving the pins still soldered to the board. You then touch the iron to the PINS not the board, and using needle nose pliers they basically fall right out :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As a follow up, like I mentioned above the speaker came out, though due to breaking the speaker housing I was unable to determine root cause failure. My suspicion is the incredibly small voice coil wires came apart from their attachment to the speaker input pins, as they appeared to be just glued on. I used an external sounds source (aux cable from my phone to a pair of allegator clips touching the speaker pins) and was unable to play sound through it. As a follow up, I had zero continuity through the voice coil via a digital multimeter. I did this first, when it was still soldered to the board.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cheers for replies - I'll take it out and have another look shortly. Sent the SID to the UK last year for the ribbon/pixel repair after being unable to do it myself (wrong ribbon I think) and should have got him to do speaker then. I'm in the process of repairing CD changer as well - got it to bits and found a wood splinter in the magazine jamming up the system. 185,000 k 02 Aero and a few little bits and pieces constantly, luckily I enjoy it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Success!! Bought a small speaker (.3 W), had to add in a couple of small wires, but bingo she goes and not quite as loud as standard. :)(y)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am actually about to do this on a 2007 9-5. I bought a used one from a chap on here and when I take out my old one I will dissect it and see if Saab used the same speaker size as the older SID's

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would be interested in knowing how much disassembly was required and how long it took you to get access to it as I have a failed one and I’ve been reluctant to tackle it
I realize that. It also has a visible speaker on it. I’ll take photos and post them up

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
2006-> SID is actually SIU (behind MIU), which contains speaker and display is integrated to MIU. Speaker itself is same as older SID.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
SIU is Saab Information Unit (this generates textes to display).
MIU is Main Instrument Unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts