SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing the parts (Actuator and seal) and hooking it up, it doesn't work. Locking and unlocking the car does not cause the actuator to move, make sounds, etc.

I hooked a digital multi-meter to the cable, pressed the remote's lock/unlock.. and I see no change in voltage. Shouldn't I see something?? There is a fuse listed in the manual for the fuel filler door, its 20amp, position #7 in the driver side dash fuse panel. It is not blown.

Any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Mark_Venture said:
After purchasing the parts (Actuator and seal) and hooking it up, it doesn't work. Locking and unlocking the car does not cause the actuator to move, make sounds, etc.

I hooked a digital multi-meter to the cable, pressed the remote's lock/unlock.. and I see no change in voltage. Shouldn't I see something?? There is a fuse listed in the manual for the fuel filler door, its 20amp, position #7 in the driver side dash fuse panel. It is not blown.

Any idea what it could be?
I think it needs to be added into the TechII, if I am not mistaken.

Paul

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure re TechII needed. I installed the locking gas cap parts on my 2004 Aero, and it worked perfect as soon as I plugged in the switch. No Tech changes needed whatsoever.

From earlier posts, I know other 04s had no problems also. FYI.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brunp said:
I think it needs to be added into the TechII, if I am not mistaken.
The threads I read (where I got the parts info and directions) made no mention of Tech II being needed. everyone just got the parts and slapped them in.

Come to think of it, they were all '04 cars... Wonder if '05 is different?

At http://sky.prohosting.com/~pr1v8/mrandmrs-g/SGFOG/item-c05.htm it lists it as being "is retrofittable" on '05's

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm going to "guess" here. It seems that midway through 04' that the lock was removed as standard. Maybe all the ECU's were flashed still as having it as standard though, but as 05' when it was completly certain it was not standard the factory programming was changed also???? Is the gas lock on/off an option in the Tech II list thread?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teck_II said:
I'm going to "guess" here. It seems that midway through 04' that the lock was removed as standard. Maybe all the ECU's were flashed still as having it as standard though, but as 05' when it was completly certain it was not standard the factory programming was changed also???? Is the gas lock on/off an option in the Tech II list thread?
Not listed in the thread's I found... but they are all older...

Also found http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabtech2.htm which has...
Unlock Logic, Settings:
All at first press : All Doors will open & Fuel Lid will unlock if the Driver or Passenger Door Switch is activated

Driver Door & Fuel Lid at first press : Only the drivers Door will unlock & Fuel Lid will unlock when door switch is activated

Remote unlocking One Press, Settings:

All at first press: All Doors will open & Fuel Lid will unlock if the Remote is pressed

Driver door & Fuel Lid at first press: Only the drivers Door will unlock & Fuel Lid will unlock when the Remote is pressed
This would imply that the fuel door actuator works on lock/unlock no matter how its set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 93 linear - need locking gas cap

Hi folks,

Not having immediate luck getting the dealer of my week old 3rd saab to install the locking mechanism for the gas door. Live smack in the city and really think it's a good idea.

Is this option available for the 2005 93 linear? Dealer says even though the wiring is there, "the program" for the key thingee to unlock the gas door is no longer installed on cars sold in the U.S. Hard to believe but won't be judgemental until I hear from other folks who want/need/installed the locking gas door successfully on a 2005 93.

Thanks,
-saabtoski-

·
Registered
297 Posts
As with anything, check another dealer. U can take this car to ANY saab dealer to have it worked on. Don't rely on one, generally if one tells u one thing, another might tell and do another. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saabtoski said:
Is this option available for the 2005 93 linear? Dealer says even though the wiring is there, "the program" for the key thingee to unlock the gas door is no longer installed on cars sold in the U.S. Hard to believe but won't be judgemental until I hear from other folks who want/need/installed the locking gas door successfully on a 2005 93.
Not sure its an "option" but I tried adding the parts to my '05 Arc.

It didn't work... Now the question is this disabled in the computer that a Tech 2 change can fix? or something else.

So your dealer saying the program to unlock the gas door might be right on point as to why it doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You have to "add" BCM with tech2 and activate the option of gas door locking. Takes about 20min max.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, thanks!!

Btw, since I'm new to this... what do I say to the dealer when I call??

in other words... can I have a script to read so I ask for the right thing?? :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just tell them that you want to install the gas door lock like the entire rest of the world gets. They will have to "add the BCM" and select the gass door locking option.

I would caution you to make sure that Everything else works properly after the programming. There are many options there and it could make a mess if one is wrong. ;)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Problems

I went to the dealer this morning armed with Nick's pictures and information and still have a gas door that will not lock. The TechII screens we looked at look nothing like Nick's pictures, but we still found the option to add the gas door lock. Didn't do any good. There is no voltage on the harness. The harness is either damaged or the other end is not connected to the bus. :cry:

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
2 dealers, 3 trips, and problem is still not solved. One dealer asked to keep the car for the entire day to work and the problem and charge an hourly rate. Another said that it can't be done. They looked at Nick's photo (above).

I haven't given up. In the interim, my solution is to place a stick from the inside (where the locking pin is suppose to be). Everytime I buy gas, I will open the trunk, reach in, and take out the stick. The inside side hatch and insulation will be open semi-permanently in order to gain access without having to take out the fasteners every time. With gas forecasted to cost $4-5 during the next few weeks, that's an incentive to drive less, refuel less often and, therefore, have to reach back in there less!

Another interim solution might be to connect the motor and hook it up to my own power supply. The WIS (service manual) says the motor activates when the current is reversed. I wonder if one could hook up a lantern battery each time one wants to open the lock. One would then hook it up switching the + and - wires to lock it. With all the computerized gizmos on the car, I would not want to splice wires and rewire that part of the car like I would if this car were from the 1980's.

This is a stupid problem that shows that SAAB has poor judgement in this instance. Even the joke car companies have locking fuel doors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dave 37 said:
I haven't given up. In the interim....
Keep at it Dave. Hopefully this can be solved and I'll be able to use your knowledge and solution to show the Dealer here how to do this - I'm sure they have no idea, I haven't been too impressed with them yet.
BTW: Carmen has left Panama and is steaming up towards Port Hueneme. Won't be long now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any updates?

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
The dealer said it was not possible in a 2005 US version but said that a supplier was working on an aftermarket locking gas cap.

Another dealer said to leave the car and expect half a day to a whole day of labor costs while they research the problem. Does this mean possibly paying $500 and be told "sorry, no cigar"

I used a thin stick but found it very difficult to use. I then installed a motor (OEM part for 2003 and 2004) and manually pushed the lever from inside the trunk everytime I buy gas. This works fine for me.

***Does anyone know the number for Saab tech support. Saab (USA) customer support says to contact the dealer and that they do not get involved in technical fixes. They don't want to give the number or address to tech support.

I might try connecting the motor to a lantern battery if I give up and don't mind risking that the motor gets fried. I might also go to Springfield, Missouri to see if Nick T. can do the Tech II change. If so, it would be during a summer road trip.

If anyone wants overly detailed instructions on how I push the lever, send me a message. It's very easy, just take off the piece of insulation (optional), stick your hand to push or pull the lever (pin) of the locking gas flap motor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts