SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone been able to replace the factory Clarion amp with another one small enough to fit in the same position?

If so, what amp did you go with?

Does anyone have the approximate dimensions of the factory amp?

Thanks in advance! :)

-DJ

·
Registered
246 Posts
Amp replacement

Hi,
I have looked high and low for a replacement amp for my 9-3, but as yet i haven`t found anything that is anywhere near the dimensions of the stock amp. The problem seems to be that anyone planning an audio upgrade wants an amp with more than the 30w output that the Saab amp delivers, which means that the amp has to be larger in size to accomodate the higher wattage.There is also the problem with the location as there are motors and acuators for the ventilation system mounted close to the amp that it must not obstruct.

My advice would be to mount a 4 channel amp in the boot or under one of the front seats , if space permits, or have the stock amp repaired. I have just had my stock amp repaired at the sky high cost of £8 which saved me a whole lot of trouble.

Hope this helps,
Kenny.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is helpful advice.

I'll prolly just get a reasonbly priced 4 channel amp around (50w RMS @ 4 ohms) and throw it under the passenger seat as you suggest. Is it safe to run the speaker wires from the new amp up to the where the existing (front door) speaker wires originate at the factory amp and spilce them together?

I'd prefer to not have to re-run speaker cable all the way to the speakers.

-DJ

·
Registered
136 Posts
sirsimon said:
Is it safe to run the speaker wires from the new amp up to the where the existing (front door) speaker wires originate at the factory amp and spilce them together?
It is safe, as long as you make a good connection. But note, that there is very little space under the passenger seat. I had almost the same questions as you do and ended up with amp in trunk.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
At least one person has gotten MTX's smallest amp to fit down there. I have one, and it does look to be about the same dimensions if you take the big rubber mounting feet off, and the output is rated the same.

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-3SS 2.0T
173 Posts
Anyone know how easy it is to replace the amps in the 150W system? I feel like it would be so straightforward to just cut the wiring harness and rewire the speaker wires to the new amp... I have a 2007 so no optical fiber up front, not sure about the amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts