SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the tubes for the long facia screws needed. I cant find them and dont want to make a special trip to take some out of yet another facia.

thanks

david

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
not really they are more of a guide, but do add alittle bit of strength to the dash keeping in place, if you have them use them if not no panic:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Im gonna JB weld some washers under the tabs as they are all broke.:( SO when I went to the junk yard yesterday I broke like three of them off a crapy facia to replace with mine but now not so sure. cause if they dont line up im screwed

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mine are broken, sombody was in there before me. Every once in a while I have to push the pannel back as it edges out slightly, but it really is not an issue. Most of my tubes are missing too. I always thought they were an anti rattle device, but my dash does not rattle. these cars have a lot of extra parts that shoud be there, but don't have to be there. I would place these straws in this catagory.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
dasander said:
I would place these straws in this catagory.
I wouldn't.

The eyelets and tubes are all that attaches the actual facia to the screws - without 'em, the screws are just holding the top of the dash to the bottom - which is why DASander's facia needs pushing back.

Mine was the same before I pulled it - I superglued the tubes back on, and the whole facia's much more solid now.

It's also a right bugger getting the screws in without 'em.

·
4,637 Posts
davidlytle said:
I think Im gonna JB weld some washers under the tabs as they are all broke.:( SO when I went to the junk yard yesterday I broke like three of them off a crapy facia to replace with mine but now not so sure. cause if they dont line up im screwed
That sounds like a good one. I have one corner sticking out 'cos its tab is broken...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just repaired 2 of the tabs. I broke off the the tabs from a good facia and then sawed them down a bit. then measured them up with the broke tabs on mine and marked them with a knife. then sawed the broken ones off and super glued the new ones on. then jb welded after the glue dried. let it cure all night and now they are on there like new. only problem is one of them is at a funny angle. not too off but enough to notice. I hope the screw tolerance will allow the angle difference. will let you know.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found 1 tube after installing the facia. The thing fits in so nice and tight without the tubes. And the repair job worked out perfect. I now have tabs!!! and the new dash and facia dont rattle at all. Just the boot. I will probably address that in a different post. Wow it looks so nice. The only problem I had was putting in a new center console. I almost broke it getting it ti fit...not sure why couldnt even use the screws that hold it to the floor. couldnt push it back far enough. But it sure is in there tight. so on to new project. Oh couldnt get the left facia screw to screw into the dash. so its just chillin' :lol:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Another method is to use epoxy glue (the two-part stuff) and for the broken off eyelets, using some wired formed into a u shape an secure it plus the end of the tube with epoxy. 5-minute stuff works well apparently.

It should adhere to the original remaining plastic just fine and if you wanted to be certain of a good bond, rub with find sandpaper or a file over adjoining areas where the epoxy would attach the rebuilt eyelet and tube together.

Craig.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could probably even make some new ones out of JB weld When that stuff dries its really hard, you can even drill holes in it.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
davidlytle said:
You could probably even make some new ones out of JB weld When that stuff dries its really hard, you can even drill holes in it.
Would it be too brittle though when used for something like that?

Craig.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not too brittle, its really hard. like the original plastic. I broke a piece off the plastic shroud that holds the heater core and it was a big hole. I used some of that to patch over the borken bit and it is just like the real deal no hole and it wont melt like silcone from the heat its just like plastic. great stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts