SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's like this: At Tfatc's Aberdeen dismantling weekend, I picked up {among other things} a pre-facelift aero kit including bumpers off a C reg {what year is that?} 900. This is going onto my 1990 C900 'vert which currently has the post-facelift front. Now, from my {admittedly extensive} knowledge of things I note the following:

• The sidelamp cluster on the post facelift model is not as high as the pre version. This will probably lead to a gap above the side moulding piece.
  • The post facelift sidelamp cluster uses bulb holders while the pre version has different connectors. I don't know if there's a common connector upstream of there.
  • The headlamps protrude more on the post as compared to the pre version. They are also not as high. This will probably also lead to a gap.
  • The grille protrudes more on the post version too. It may be possible to come up with a connector piece for this.
  • The headlamp wipers are mounted to the back of the bumper on the post version while they're mounted to the front beam vertical bits on the pre.
  • The air dam bit of the aero bodykit looks like it would foul the motors if I was to mount them to the back of the pre version bumper.
  • The headlamp wiper motors are different part numbers between post and pre though they look the same in the EPC illustration. Their mounting brackets are different though but may be adaptable.
  • The post headlamps have motorised beam adjusters which don't seem to be available for the pre version
So, it all comes down to: Do I try to adapt the pre facelift bumpers/ moulding pieces to work with the post facelift lamps, wipers and grille or do I go get a pre facelift lamp set and grille? The post headlamps appear to be better than the pre but I just don't know!!

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Funny you ask this now, because at Kodak yesterday Fraser brought along his 1989 900i that had been fitted with pre-facelift parts. Indistinguishable from the genuine article!

I think that one of the pre-facelift headlamp wipers is positioned 90° around from the post-facelift position. That would probably mean the wiper's "home" position is different, and that the motors are not interchangeable left-to-right.

If you're going to face-drop the car then IMHO you should go the whole hog and use pre-facelift grille and headlamps.

C is 1985/86. Same year as my 900.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Post face lift

I think you'll need to change the whole lot won't you, the grille on the post FL is a bit deeper and less slanted isnt it? I guess the body is the same shape so there should'nt be any issues bolting it all in place. I was going to go the other way around but decided to stick with post FL SPG kit I took off my donor car a few years ago.

While we are on the subject does anyone know where I can find out about what's legal/illegal when it comes to light set up, I want to blank off the indicator/side light (remove and place a colour coded section in place) and use combined Headlight/sidelight with a spot light on the inside and a indicator mounted between the two????????

I've got Post FL headlights and indicators off my car, if your interested PM me as I might let them go in order to finance my light upgrade (+ it's off the road at the mo while I what to pick up a new donor car in order to do an engine replacement). The grille is a bit shabby though so could'nt really part with that.

·
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the pre FL grille that is steeper (in fact, nearly vertical). That's the one I'm after. When you say you have post FL headlamps, that's what I currently have. I'll have to get pre FL lamps etc. If you have those, I'd be interested in talking...

On the subject of lighting rules, you might be OK with your plan except for the absence of side visible sidelights. If you consider the old VW golf, it had indicators in the front bumper along with repeater lights on the wings. I'm not sure where it had its sidelights or if they were visible to the side. A quick google on "MOT lighting regulations" turns up http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_7.htm
which appears to approve your setup.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Opps wrong way round!!!

Duhhh, got my pre n post mixed up i think (should'nt post replys so early in the morning, still half asleep...need intrevenous coffee injection!), I've got flat front headlight & indicators, (pre!!!!).

I've been looking at Mk II Golf lights, already picked up the spot's just need to make sure that the headlights have side lights combined, going to use clear round indicators from a Landrover, I'll form a front plate out of FG to house them and might try and use some of that tinting spray on the indicator lens to blend them in with the housing (maybe pushing my luck abit though...legally).

Cheers for the link, will have a read n see if my plan comes up to scratch.

I'm in the process of shortening the F bumper as well, been stripped and plastic case is cut to size, just got to finish it off once I've put the front of my car back on!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought a brand new airflow kit for a pre-facelift(79-86) last year to fit on my `91 900 LPT. I was planning to use the complete front from my donor car(86 Aero) all you need is the lights grille and bumper, but to my surprise I also needed the plastic moulding under the grille behind the bumper. I had sold this off with the aero kit from my donor car, as it is integrated with the spoiler lip on the older aero:roll:
When I took off the original spoiler lip I realized that the older airflow front spoiler fits very nicely under the newer bumper. All I have to do is make some fibreglass side mouldings for the bumper that will fit both the bumper and the spoiler. Then I will be the lucky owner of a faclifted car wit the old airflow kit, which I think is the most beautiful bodykit ever:D

·
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must say I prefer the older style of bumper myself. Something about having that step so I can just walk up onto the bonnet!! :eek: Anyway, I also got the front bumper extensions from a post FL aero kit so I could use this kit with the facelifted front but I think I'll go with the proper job...

BTW, somebody said the front beam would need to be changed too but I don't think so. Any had any problem with that?

·
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now, the first stage of the face drop is nearly done. Last weekend, I stripped the old-style rear bumper, wirebrushed off the rust from the backing plate, treated all the metal with rust cure stuff {it reduces the rust, driving out the oxygen}. Then I primed and painted all of the metalwork, doused with WaxOyl and reassembled the bumper.

Later in the week I brushed the rust off the mounting brackets, rust treated, primed and painted them.

Today I took off the rear bumper {new-style} and side mouldings from the quarter panel and fitted the mounting rails for the rear section of the Aero kit {had to drill new holes in the rail since the holes in the body didn't line up}. The body kit lines up nicely though the top of the moulding is about 1 cm lower than the old one. I've yet to see if the paint has been rubbed by the old moulding.

Then I went to fit the newly painted bumper mounting brackets only to discover they don't fit! ARRGH! :x Turns out the body kit came off a 3-door while it's going on to a 2-door. The rear bumper mounting brackets are different. :eek: I compared them with the 5-door LPT and they're different to that also.

I refitted the car's own brackets {which are well rusty and need painting} and offered up the square bumper which fits but it looks a bit too tight. The rubber centre piece won't fit {there wasn't one behind the original bumper - missing?} in the gap and there isn't quite room for the body kit moulding to fit behind the bumper side piece.

Looking at the mounting brackets, I see that the bit that the bumper bolts into lies flush with the tail lights. So, would anyone with a pre-facelift 2 or 4-door please tell me if the rear bumper mounting brackets protrude beyond the tail lights? IE. If you placed a ruler against the taillight lens would it rest on the bumper or on the mounting bracket. Also does the 2/4-door have the rubber spacer piece behind the centre of the bumper?

I found a bit of blistering in the front wheel arches the other day so the car's going in for a bit of paintwork next week. Once that's complete, I'll fit the rest of the Aero kit. I don't have the face-drop headlamp / grille etc yet but I have the post-facelift Aero front bumper extensions also which I might fit in the meantime if the existing ones look silly with the Aero kit fitted. Once I have the face drop parts, I'll fit the front dam and bumper and look just sooo cool... :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts