SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my car has developed a slight whine under light load/ normal driving in 3rd and 4th gear. It is really only apparent between 2300-3000rpm, it's not super loud, but it's loud enough to be annoying.

I know that 3rd and 4th gears are on a different shaft than 1-2-5-6, with this being said could this be a input shaft bearing issues? should I try re-calibrating my shifter to see if its the gears are not aligning properly?

It's been doing this for a few months, it hasn't got any worse in that time.
Is there anything I can do to determine where the noise is coming from?

Anyone out there experience a similar noise?

·
Registered
283 Posts
My friends Vectra has the same problem, and I believe it's the same box.

His mechanic said it was something to do with the input shaft bearing that has worn and to just keep an eye on it... That was two years ago and it still has the noise and it seems to still work ok.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The 5-spd manual gearbox of a friend's 9-5 developed the same problem.
He got a quote of over 1000 euro to have the transmission repaired.
He ended up adding one of these highly efficient lubricant additives to the gearbox (by subtracting an equal amount of gear oil) and the whine was very much reduced.
Please note that the F40 6-spd gearbox cannot be repaired. There are no spare parts for it.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The 5-spd manual gearbox of a friend's 9-5 developed the same problem.
He got a quote of over 1000 euro to have the transmission repaired.
He ended up adding one of these highly efficient lubricant additives to the gearbox (by subtracting an equal amount of gear oil) and the whine was very much reduced.
Please note that the F40 6-spd gearbox cannot be repaired. There are no spare parts for it.
Whoa, there are no spare parts for it? That's kind of a scary thought... I thought the Saab Parts side of things was staying alive?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Saab Parts has nothing to do with this.
The F40 was always sold as a closed unit. Even when Saab was alive, no spares were available for this gearbox. That was Saab's policy for this gearbox.
So if the transmission is totalled then you can only replace it as a whole unit. The price for a new unit was around 6,500 euro when I asked Saab 2 years ago. Used ones range 1500-3500 euro depending on condition.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Saab Parts has nothing to do with this.
The F40 was always sold as a closed unit. Even when Saab was alive, no spares were available for this gearbox. That was Saab's policy for this gearbox.
So if the transmission is totalled then you can only replace it as a whole unit. The price for a new unit was around 6,500 euro when I asked Saab 2 years ago. Used ones range 1500-3500 euro depending on condition.
Ah interesting. I wonder if it was built in a way that would make it difficult to close again if opened.

Download the EPC and you will see that no new parts are stocked or are available for that transmission... Ron
Don't worry, I believe him... ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try adding some fluid to it. I figure I'll just keep driving it till it goes and keep my eye on the whine and see if it gets worse.

I wonder if you could do a used f35 rebuilt with a quaife 6 speed gear set for the price of a new f40?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts