SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing this up because at the time when I needed to replace my transmission, I couldn't find much solid info on the subject
Not long ago I swapped out my transmission (F40-MU9) with the F40-MR6 (I think) from a 2011-2013 buick regal GS.
It bolted up without a cinch along with a buick regal flywheel and clutch kit. A company called ZZP does a lot with ecotecs and they have oem take offs for cheap, which I bought the trans, flywheel kit (Hardware sold separately), a new crank pulley, water pump, and upgraded rear and front trans mounts.

I'm not going to get into the whole process of how to perform the swap. Now as far as compatability goes there are some important differences.
First, for the 2nd gen ecotec they added 2 bolts to the bellhousing as a reinforcement, the rest of them line up with the lk9 motor just fine. But in doing so they changed the front trans mount and moved it towards the centerline of the car by a couple of inches, so the bracket on the subframe needs to be cut off and shifted over to line up with the new mount.

Second, the MR6 variant ribbing around the differential was reinforced to reduce flexing of the case, and the rear trans mount bracket needs to sourced gm part number 13228288 plenty floating around on ebay. The dog bone in the rear is the exact same part for both, I opted for ZZP's solid rubber mount.

Third, I can't find my source on this at the moment, but I had read that the subframe for the epsilon 1 series car (saab) has a front to back length of 354ish mm and the epsilon 2 (buick) had a length of 372mm. The issue is that the rear dog bone when bolted to the new bracket tips the engine back and pulls a bit on the upper radiator hose, but by shifting the ends of the hoses I was able to mitigate that issue. If someone has an NG 9-5 could you measure your subframe to confirm this?

The location of the reverse sensor moved from the shift tower to halfway down the case but the harness reaches without issue, the arm on the shift tower taps the top transmission mount bracket when shifting into 6th but doesn't interfere with engagement, worst case you have to shave it down a bit to clear. Theres also an electrical connector near where the shift cables bolt on but I don't know what it's for?

If there's anything else that's unclear or what not feel free to ask and ill try my best to respond

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I almost forgot, the front trans mount needs to be changed as well because it no longer bolts along the bellhousing but perpendicular to it. In the picture I have 2 torx bolts right above the front subframe bracket where the new mount bolts in
IMG_20190714_165654.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts