SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 94 NG900 SE Turbo

Ever since my dad and I changed out the clutch I have been experiencing problems when the weather is hot or if the car is driven for long periods at a time. The clutch action feels extremely hard and "sticky" (The best way I can describe the feeling is it's almost like a thick rubber wire catching on something and the friction is causing rough movement, or as if your were trying to hoist a rope over something with a lot of weight attached to the other end. Very "Squeaky". These problems all go away once the clutch cable is readjusted but only for a week at the most. It just doesn't seem to want to hold an adjustment. During the winter the car is much more drive-able. Albeit once the car warms up the problems return. Shifting is also affected. When cool, it's very smooth but once the heat returns I have a very hard time shifting into gear and it grinds when putting it in reverse. Anyone know what this could be? The car is pretty much undriveable right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here in the UK the standard solution is to replace the pedal and cable with parts from an Opel / Vauxhall / Holden Astra (same car sold under multiple brands in different parts of the world).

they use the same mounting points but are far superior.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
What brand clutch and throwout bearing was used?

Was the clutch cable replaced at the same time as the clutch?

I suppose you could start by swapping out the clutch cable, on the theory that that's a lot easier than taking out the drivetrain to have at the clutch. :confused:

Alternatively, you could live with it. My old Trans Am with a Z-bar clutch linkage action was at least as bad as you describe. There was nothing to be done in that case, so that was that.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
You could also swap cable clutch to og 9-3 hydraulic one.

If the problem is the cable itself, it's a whole lot easier to change just the cable than the entire conversion. And a properly working cable is not that bad.

When you say clutch cable do you mean the whole assembly? Or is it possible to only use the cable?

Hydraulic clutch requires pulling the transmission and replacing the throwout assembly with a slave cylinder. Also adding the hydraulic hoses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts