SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been looking at this thing for the past 2 years. I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know what it's for? There's one on each seat track (for a vehicular total of 4). Nothing attaches to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Viscouse said:
OK, I've been looking at this thing for the past 2 years. I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know what it's for? There's one on each seat track (for a vehicular total of 4). Nothing attaches to it.
It is a loop for the assembly line crane thing...when they assemble the car the put in the whole seat assembley into the car and bolt it on.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaah. The lift assist. Thanks schernov! In the land where I come from, money is saved by not having to fit the seats with extra bits to help hoist it. The lift assist fits the seat, not the seat made to fit the lift.
I guess it's okay that I hacksawed one of them off then. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes they are indeed the lift points for the seat on the production line. I've actually seen them in action. It's probably one of those changes Saab made to the assembly process that pi$$es GM off so much. To my eye, it seemed like the hoist they used would put a lot of pressure on the side of the seat otherwise. That would be bad for the side airbag, so perhaps this is the reason ?

Just a guess...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
LinearSLT said:
Yes they are indeed the lift points for the seat on the production line. I've actually seen them in action. It's probably one of those changes Saab made to the assembly process that pi$$es GM off so much. To my eye, it seemed like the hoist they used would put a lot of pressure on the side of the seat otherwise. That would be bad for the side airbag, so perhaps this is the reason ?

Just a guess...
Sounds sensible. Protect the airbags, saving them money. They aren't always stupid..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts