SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two related questions. I've owned a 2001 Saab 9-3 for two years. I'm wondering what typically breaks down on these cars and I'm wondering if I should purchase an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Make sure you read any extended warranty very very carefully. If you can buy the one from SAAB, I'd do that because they'll actually cover stuff, and probably will actually pay for the whole labor rate of the shop/ new replacement parts rather than like condition used parts. Plus I dont think it has a deductible.

Though I wont share teh name of my warranty company, I would have PREFERRED that I didnt waste $1800 dollars on that crappy WARRANTY, incorporated, which wasnt worth the paper my contract was fuzzily photocopied onto. I didnt even get an original leaflet! I got to cover my own valve job ($3154) Granted, the damage was done by my friend putting the car in 1st at 70mph... But even if they had covered it, the covered labor cost was like $70/hr, whereas any dealer out here charges at least $85/hr. Plus there is a $100 deductible, plus you have to pay for any diagnosing/tear down, plus they try to give you old parts instead of proper new ones. Screw job of the century. I've clipped better coupons out of the paper. :evil:

I agreed to it while buying my SAAB on the phone after 4 hours of sleep 3 states away for a dealer that advertises on Ebay. Not to say I made a bad purchase, just that I felt that the price of the warranty would have been better spent in a savings account ready to make any repairs when needed. $1800 bucks is a lot of damage to a 2001 car. The odds were not in my favor to break even. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
In my opinion, I agree.
Saab Extended Warranty = worth every penny.
Others = not so good.
I wouldn't expect a TON of problems on a 2001 Saab. ;)
Contrary to what you might think reading through this forum they are pretty damn reliable.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I would definatly reccomend the Saab Certified program. If you can resist the urge to modify your car until 100k miles, its well worth it. The dealor makes the money from the warranty company, just as if you were paying for it, so they are eager to help and are great about fixing things the right way. My warranty paid for itself at least 4 times!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Saab certified warranty is very good. The down side is that is only available at the time of purchase. I recently inquired (through Saab USA) about an extended warranty for my '01 Viggen since it is a month away from the end of the factory warranty. I was told that there is no Saab extended warranty available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nick Danger said:
The down side is that is only available at the time of purchase.

Check with your dealer... my buddy has an option on his 2002 used Saab (recently purchased) to extend the warranty at any time during the factory warranty (4 yr/80,000km). Plus, the dealer will refund him half if he has no claims. It was about $1500 (CAN).

My 01 has not had 'major' mechanical problems... apart from a leaky turbo that I should have got fixed but which then blew out at 80,000 (warrantied). The DI casette can be suspect in many Saabs - $300 US for the part, new from Saab. Mine went at 95,000 and otherwise would have been covered under an extended warranty. It is WELL worth the investment to extend - as pointed out above, the labour will be covered (e.g. 5 hours for a turbocharger).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I thinks that's one of the differences between Saab USA and Saab Canada. I'll check with the dealer anyway. I'm still on the fence about this, not really a warranty person, but still might be interested depending on coverage, etc.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Nah, in the U.S. you can opt to extend it at any time during your original warranty period.

A

·
0 Posts
I bought by 01 9-3 from a non-Saab dealer who was selling a Preffered Extended Warranty or something. For over $2000, I'm not completely sure I'm going to get my money's worth, considering I still have the factory warranty for another 15 months, or 24,000 miles, and the engine warranty has just been bumped up to 8 years/100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
They bumper engine warranty to 8/100k? Or is that what your new warranty from the private dealer got you for coverage?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
oh yeah, sludging, I remember that now. My car was checked out for the issue when the oil pan gasket was replaced, no problems on my car. Guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess I'd like to know just where some of you are getting the information about extending the Saab coverage past the factory period. I've talked to both Saab USA, and my local dealer and they both say it's not true. The only warranty available through Saab is the original factory warranty, or the Saab Certified Warranty availble on Certified Pre-Owned Saabs. All other extended warranty plans are not Saab warrantys although they can be purchased through your Saab dealer.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
In Canada, GM offers extended warranty for Saab anytime, as long as it's still under the original factory warranty.

I spent $2000 to get 6yr/100k coverage. So far I saved over $800 for SID replacement and turbo repair.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Another place to purchase an extended warranty is your your auto insurance company. Some offer them some don't but these are pretty good warranties if you have a good insurance company.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts