SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to this forum, but am really impressed by the responsiveness of the members to requests for help. So, here's hoping you can help me....

I just purchased a new 2007 9-3 Aero Sedan. I am picking it up this week. The dealer has offered me an extended warranty that covers the car bumper to bumper for 7 years and 70,000 miles. I have to purchase the warranty before taking possession of the car. The warranty is $2,400 with a $100 deductible.

Given that Saab warranties the whole car for 4 years, and the powertrain for 5 years / 100,000 miles I'm not sure it's worth $2,400 to extend the warranty a few more years. I do usually keep my cars at least 10 years.

I figure the only way the warranty pays for itself is if I need a major repair (e.g., engine overhaul, turbo replacement, transmission rebuild) when the car is between 5-7 years old. What's the likelihood of that happening?

I would appreciate your thoughts and experience with 1) the likelihood of needing a major engine or transmission repair within 7 years / 70,000 miles,and 2) your experience with extended warranties purchased from dealers.

TIA

Jim

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Hi and Welcome, can we assume this car is new off the lot? Or was it a Demo? Used? IMO that sounds a bit pricey for just an additional three years, do a quick web search, even the forum, make a few callas and see whats available. Stalling for a day or two might even get you a better price. If it's used, ask the dealer to CPO it that will give it 6yr/100K and only cost about 1100 extra, which it costa the dealer to have Saab Certify it.

Edit: a quick search in the forum turned up the numbers on the GMPP extended warranty

24/36 $2150
24/50 $2770
36/36 $2215 <<<<<Lookie Lookie
36/54 $2910

they may be dated so... http://www.gmprotectionplanonline.com/

·
Banned
631 Posts
when i bought my car their warranty at the used car depot was rediculous

6months / 66k $2000 I laughed in their face.

But if your talking 3 years and $2000. Ide take it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. I wound up buying the extended warranty. Because of the information you provided I was able to get the dealer to take $300 off the price! Now (hopefully) I will never need to use it.:cheesy:

Jim

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I purchased an additional year of warranty for my car so powertrain = bumper/bumper. By the 5th year of ownership, the new Epsilon II models in '11 will have been our for a couple of years. Extended also gives me free rental coverage at every service visit, no questions asked. :)

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts