SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some junk mail warning me my factory warranty was about to expire and that this company can provide me with an extended warranty. So, that got me thinking, that's actually not a bad idea. I mean my 9-3 SS is an '03 and has been in for service more times than I can remember in one sitting. But I really like the darn car, and plan to keep it even beyond 100k miles.

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty?

How much was it?

What does it cover?

Does it have nationwide coverage?

Made any claims yet?

Do you think it's worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Sorry, I can't help, but I was thinking about an extended warranty too. My car is an 03 with low miles, but I plan to keep it for a long time if I can find a decent extended warranty. I wonder if some sort of GM warranty is best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
ArcGP said:
Sorry, I can't help, but I was thinking about an extended warranty too. My car is an 03 with low miles, but I plan to keep it for a long time if I can find a decent extended warranty. I wonder if some sort of GM warranty is best?
when I was looking to buy my 9-3, i was conentratingo on a CPO. Unfortunately you cannot buy CPO warranty.
As far as aftermarket warranty, most of them ca be had with or without deductible. Some cover only listed components - so if you have some crazy *** electric sensor on your 9-3 fail and it is not on the list, they don't cover it!
So if I were you I would go for an Exclusionary warranty, which lists components that are NOT covered. Everything else is.
Aftermarket warranties can be taken to any mechanic. When he diagnoses a problem, he phones the warranty call center tells them that you need a new engine and it will cost $8k......they ask him for a labor/parts brakedown and say "OK" ... and pay him via a corp. credit card.

If you take your car to the dealer, ask your dealer which warranty companies they like to deal with, as they will be the ones doing the calling. Also, if you get it thru your dealer, they will usually wave the deductible if you bring your car for service there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip about an exclusionary warranty. I'll ask my dealer which companies they deal with next time I'm in for service. Though I'm willing to bet they're going to steer me towards a service they sell/represent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Get the GM extended warranty. It's about $2000 (CND) to extend the coverage to 100,000k or 6 years. It's more or less bumper to bumper, and it includes just about everything under the hood, including ACC, SID, and most importantly DI. Even things like your head unit and speakers are included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
rotate said:
Get the GM extended warranty. It's about $2000 (CND) to extend the coverage to 100,000k or 6 years. It's more or less bumper to bumper, and it includes just about everything under the hood, including ACC, SID, and most importantly DI. Even things like your head unit and speakers are included.
It is not available in US for SAAB. SAAB does not have an manufacturer backed warranty other then CPO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I wonder why SAAB doesn't offer this? It would seem to be a proven money maker unless they think they can't charge enough for what might go wrong with these cars at high mileage?!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
johnc_22 said:
I wonder why SAAB doesn't offer this? It would seem to be a proven money maker unless they think they can't charge enough for what might go wrong with these cars at high mileage?!!!
My sentiments exactly! That's why I wanted the extended warranty -- I figured I'd come out ahead in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
schernov said:
It is not available in US for SAAB. SAAB does not have an manufacturer backed warranty other then CPO.
Weird, when i bought my '03 the dealer offered me an extended warranty but i declinded. (he said it was a one time thing and wouldn't be offered again.) I'm gonna assume it was a ploy for me to buy an extra and i'm sure i'll get something in the mail later on in life. When he offered it, he made it sound like a GM extended warranty, i guess it was an extended warranty from the dealer, which is fine 'cuz it's a great dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I think you can get an extended GM warranty at purchase time but only at purchase time - the finance guy at my dealer offered it to me as well. Of course this is exactly when you are thinking, "why would I need to extend a warranty on a car I haven't even driven off the lot?" In hindsight I now know that a) I really like this car and would like to keep it past 50K and b) might not be able to justify that if it looks like repairs will be almost as expensive as making payments on a new car.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top