SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

It's coming up to 3 years on my car, so out of warranty next month.

Now I do like my Saab - it's fast, it looks good, it does 45mpg (diesel), and has a (Hirsch induced) acceleration that I quite like. The seats are nice. The stereo is s#it. Damn it - I do like it though. But, but...

It's been in the garage an awful lot over that time - I got Robert Bowett's in Leeds to print out the warranty work done to it since I got it (3 months old, 25% off) and it wasn't far off a phone directory: ~ > £3,000(!) to Saab I reckon (they left some of the parts prices on). Plus Nidd Vale in Harrogate have done some work since - which wasn't even included.

So.... I thought an extended warranty might be worth a look. Have had one thing thru the post a few weeks back from "Car Care Warranty Ltd"....

- "The Saab Safeguard Extended Warranty Plan" @ £449 / year

....and found one thing at the garage from Saab.....

- "The Saab Sureguard Extended Warranty Plan" @ ~ £650 / year.

Rang a guy at Nidd Vale (whose opinion I trust) and he said not to go near the first one, apparently they will quibble over items saying they're wear-and-tear (when they're not) and generally act a bit shonky on most claims.

So I rang "Car Care Plan" to ask them what the difference was. Fairly unbeliveably (to me) their rep. said it was far too much info. to explain over the phone what might separate the two. When I asked him to send me the fine print - you know, what you're actually buying - so I could decide for myself, he said that wasn't possible - as a customer I had to buy the plan before I could read that. Don't think he really registered my amazement. Then I asked him if a Hirsched car would have any issues and he was a bit shaky - saying "if they thought the Hirsch unit had caused a problem it wouldn't be covered".

In short - he gave every impression of not having a clue about anything - all in his "trust me I'm a salesman" Leeds brogue.

So.... fairly naturally, I declined this fantasic(ally vague) deal, and went off to look at the "Saab Sureguard Plan" as leafleted at my caring neighbourhood garage.

Guess who underwrites that one - at £200 more/year. In the small print at the bottom - "Car Care Plan".

So I'm scoobied. Two plans, one provider, no info. Is it worth going down this route?

Or shall I just take my chances?

Or should I just flog the b*****d (@50k miles for about £8-9 p*ss**g grand probably) and buy a Toyota?

Cheers for any insights....

Mac

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just for reference here are the (main) warranty items so far:

Year 1
Stereo Aux not connected ~ £150
Particle Filter Sensor ~ £150
Steering Rack (full replacement -> 1d [misdiagnosis] +3d [wrong parts (twice?)] + 1d [tracking - all wrong]) - each tediously re-explained and raked over to some different punter at the garage ~ £1000+? *

Year 2
Electric Window Module ~ £100
Bonnet Release ~ £350!
Corroded Wheel Nuts + Rattling ~ £95
Wing Mirror motor (Twice) ~ £????

Year 3
Electric Window Module ~ £100
Engine Water Pump ~ £(f*** knows - is post print out - not cheap judging by the way the techie rolled his eyes)
Front Suspension Springs (under duress to Saab, but 1.5cm difference between the two at the time - again - a few quid I guess)

all + Car hire - thanks, I enjoyed the Mazda 6's (shopping trolley) and Mitsubish Colts (please just shoot me) sooooo much :cheesy:

* Though after this SAAB UK did generously cover my first service (eventually..... very eventually) after I rang HQ and threatened to suicide bomb all Saab garages or something. I forget - I was young and idealistic....

Maybe not so bad - maybe awful. I dunno. To be fair the service garages (Bowetts and Nidd Vale for locals) have been fine - always good to deal with. Saab have paid for the lot so far - I have been without the car on maybe 9 or 10 days in total.

Had two Golf's before this and a Volvo C70. The C70 was a beautiful, fast, flaky piece of second hand dung - engine gave out after 100k - probably an abused specimen. Re Golfs: I think, on the second one, the stereo wouldn't play cassettes once :D

Still a good car this, however insane that might sound.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have a mod move this to the "Lounge" - I got my best response there (Since warranties are not unique to 9-3 SS's) - I too am looking for warranty advice as my time under factory expires ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts