SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm posting about an NG900 gearbox problem on this forum as it's basically the same but you guys are more likely to have seen it. Thinking "longer in the tooth". Not owners! just cars!

OK, recently lost the synchro on second after a strange draggy shift into fourth. Big Kerunch, lots of vibration for a second and then second unavailable except at a standstill.

My man rebuilt the box with new synchros and bearings. It had made a bit of a mess and he'd replaced a several other parts.

500 miles later, I get the same strange draggy change into fourth. Now I know what's coming I slow right down to try second. krunch (with a little 'k').

Back to man who has another go.

Got car back for a second time now and it seems fine (again). He showed me the bits that failed: two synchros (steel half) had blued and scored their locating pegs. The spacer on the output shaft was also picked-up at both ends.

What's going on? Anyone seen this sort of problem before?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I think he's hoping that we would know more about trannies in general since ours seem to fail so much more often. =/

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep that's it. I'm running 500MPG at the moment, which is (apparently) pretty good for a Saab :cheesy:

(I sort of forgot the transverse/fore-aft engine thing oops!)

Did a search for Saab on that bidding site. Suprising the number of "spares or repair, needs new gearbox" you see ;oops:

Seriously, I'm after a bit of inside knowledge about my gearbox problem as I'm dreading it happening again.....,,,,,!!!!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
OK, recently lost the synchro on second after a strange draggy shift into fourth. Big Kerunch, lots of vibration for a second and then second unavailable except at a standstill.

Anyone seen this sort of problem before?
I've never heard of this on a C900. There's no point in suggesting that you get the pinion bearing rebuilt as it might not be a problem on an NG900. On a C900 second gear synchro being shot is not unusual, and many go on for years like it. Dragging shift into fourth - could be anything. Maybe the gears have literally dropped which causes the crunch. Sounds like you need a gearbox expert who is familiar with NG900 transmissions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts