SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replaced their tail lights, parking lights, brake lights, turn signals, etc with those LED drop in replacements? If so, how do they look? Are they brighter? Is the light refracted properly?

I'm kinda sorta considering smoking my indicator/tail light lenses with Nite Shades, but don't really want them to glow dimmer than they do at the moment at night, and think that LEDs might make for a good compromise - they'd have the smoked look in the day but still glow bright at night.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I smoked my lenses with the UVH Niteshades stuff. Did 3 coats, then polished and waxed them. I picked up a pair of the drop-in LED brake and signal lights from Pep-Boys. They were definatley NOT as bright as the generic cheap bulbs. They cost $20 per pair, I took them right back and exchanged them. So if I were you, I would do a little more research on some of the other LED models. I gave up. good luck.

Daylight, with the regular bulbs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i once purchased the red LED taillights from Autozone. i took them back less than 5 minutes after paying for them, demanding my money back.

the red LED lamps are designed for usage with clear lamps. they were very very dull behind the red lenses.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
SpectreBlofeld said:
LEDs might make for a good compromise.
You think:lol:

30 times brighter than a filiment bulb and redder too, but these are custom made, good if your a fiddler like me;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent! Tell me more. I was thinking about doing the same thing (creating an array of LEDs instead of relying on one bulb). Very interested to hear how you did it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, get (make) a set of LED's for the job and it'll be better then incandescents. On the Saturn forum I visit they/we typicall replace all the gauge cluster bulbs with LEDs (crazy people mostly prefer blue...but with the price of green I understand).

One thing I haven't seen with normal bulb listings is the lumens (light output) rating; the superbrightled site gives them for each LED they sell.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Thanks for that link G man, I total forgot about that mod.

Just follow the pictures series below, when I talk I make less sense with every word:lol:

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Continued

make sure there flat on the board , if not the beam will stray.

Make sure ever LED is in the correct + _ position, if one is out the whole set its connected to will not work.

This is how you secure the LED as you solder them.

The blue tac holds them firmly in place, do not shift the LED or board when soldering.

Once all the paths are connected and the resistors are in place check them with a 9v battery, some wire and metal pins to check each bank of LEDs.

Now the brake light LEDs., remove the reflector from the red lens and spray half the vero board with silver paint, this helps to keep it looking stock.

One side is for braking and the other is just the side lights.

The test run looked like this.

The back of the board looks like this.

Continued

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The middle of the board is the negative rail.

The top and bottom rails are positive so you only need 3 wires and you can use the normal wiring on the Saab.

There is a middle rib that the LED have to aviod.

This its the most I could fit in the Lens housing.

This is how I secure the LED board, silicone, its cheap its strong and flexible.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
So its was all wired up and ready to be installed.
I will up grade the orange LEDs to 10mm orange LEDs in a few months.

The red light out put is amazing, even now I am still surprised by it.

This is all I had after 9 hours of work, I think I could do it in 6 now.

It was early morning by the time I was done.

You can see how different the LEDs are from the red bulbs on the inside cube on the tail gate, I have to replace them as well, that whole tail gate is gone as it was rusted up and the lock was gone.

This is an easy mod in all honesty yet after 3 odd years nobody had made there own version, come on you lazy gits.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I want to do this but want to alternate led’s with different resisters so I can have stop/tail as they are from the factory, any info on led spec and resister spec would be appreciated.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
saabmatt said:
I want to do this but want to alternate led’s with different resisters so I can have stop/tail as they are from the factory, .
You can do that but you basically get half the board used for stop and the other half for tail which is fine because there so bright but I just removed the tail reflector which is not needed as UK license plates are reflective and 30 times bigger.

The type and size of LED is not that important because you can wire them up in any arrangment you like TBO.

I did this many years ago and would make some small changes to the mod now, I have not been able to find a rear decor panel as I would LED the whole thing and have it on my foot brake with a pressure sensor:lol:

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I am bad with electronics.with my luck I would buy several hundred of the little buggers then blow them out when I go to test them.How much would it be to do that mod to a 4drs lights?Yea so how much would that be to make everything a plug ang play sorta affair.brakes,tails,reverse lights,and blinkers/indicators?
Im planning on smoking my tails soon but I would like to still be able to be seen.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
The red light out put is amazing, even now I am still surprised by it.

Umm, isn't that _too_ bright for the tail lights? I don't think I'd like to be sat behind you on a wet winter's night...

What about the brake lights? Have you upgraded those, too? Or do you have quite a low amount of contrast between the two?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
GearHead said:
I am bad with electronics.
Dude this does not even count as electronics really, its just soldering and assembly if you watched me do it you would be able to copy me within a few minutes, its very easy to do so don't think its beyond you because its not, trust me.;)

with my luck I would buy several hundred of the little buggers then blow them out when I go to test them.How much would it be to do that mod to a 4drs lights?Yea so how much would that be to make everything a plug ang play sorta affair.brakes,tails,reverse lights,and blinkers/indicators?
Im planning on smoking my tails soon but I would like to still be able to be seen.[/QUOTE]

The 4 door has the same shape and array as the 2 door and the only reason I did not do the reverse light was white LEDs back then cost 10 times more per bulb, that has now that is change with demand and production.

It is plug and play once you wire it up and I will never have to worry about a blown bulb or busted brake bulb ever again.

Toomany2cvs yes its bright but have you ever been behind a modern car like a Merc or BMW with the doush bags foot on the brake!, those LED tail lights are twice the height of the Saabs and its passes road safety regulations.

Look at the Saabs low slung rear lamps compared to a RX8 an Alfa and my boss's wifes Mercs which is a low car in the first place.

The original Saab brake lights are very weak compared to modern day brake lights so its a good thing in my books, I have never failed an MOT because of these LEDs lights, lets put it like this, I should hopefully never get rear ended:lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts