SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my expansion tank, new cap, new hoses car temp never changes from 1/2 way mark. I have read that i might have an issue with my HG. How would I find this out? and please I don't understand shop talk. everything must be explained to me. my car is a 2005 9-3 turbo.

thank you
Dawn

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Head gasket leak means that coolant leaks to combustion or to oil pan.
When head gasket leaks to combustion, you can "see it" because coolant level raises due higher pressure (from combustion) and coolant cap releases over pressure out. Result: empty expansion tank and coolant residues all over.
Typically you also have white cloud from exhaust when you have normal engine temp and car is in idle.

When you fill coolant, which level you top up it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head gasket leak means that coolant leaks to combustion or to oil pan.
When head gasket leaks to combustion, you can "see it" because coolant level raises due higher pressure (from combustion) and coolant cap releases over pressure out. Result: empty expansion tank and coolant residues all over.
Typically you also have white cloud from exhaust when you have normal engine temp and car is in idle.

When you fill coolant, which level you top up it?
Mimmi, I fill it to the line that states coolant level. I checked oil seems that there is no water in oil. which is a good thing but now what do i look for?

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Dawn, what was the reason for the expansion tank needing replacement?

Right now, after the replacement, is the coolant level staying about the same when you check the car when it's cold (i.e. in the morning before driving)?

The gauge going up to the halfway point and staying there is a good sign. That's what it's supposed to do. If the coolant level also stays constant, and the coolant doesn't change colour, then I don't think there is anything to worry about.

However, you can also pull off the oil filler cap (yellow cap on left side of engine). Look for anything funny, like a "chocolate milkshake", on the underside. If it's just brown or black oil, maybe your oil need changing, but the head gasket is not leaking coolant into the oil.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Correct level is about 2 cm up from seam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Right now, after the replacement, is the coolant level staying about the same when you check the car when it's cold (i.e. in the morning before driving)?

The gauge going up to the halfway point and staying there is a good sign. That's what it's supposed to do. If the coolant level also stays constant, and the coolant doesn't change color, then I don't think there is anything to worry about.

However, you can also pull off the oil filler cap (yellow cap on the left side of the engine). Look for anything funny, like a "chocolate milkshake", on the underside. If it's just brown or black oil, maybe your oil needs changing, but the head gasket is not leaking coolant into the oil.
The reason for the change for the expansion tank was it cracked. this morning I checked coolant level in expansion tank { when cold} and it was at the correct level, the color was good. I looked at my oil on the dipstick and at the yellow cap, all appears to be good. I ran ac car came up to temp.coolant level never changed. the fan does come on. today in NC it is only 86 this occurs when the heat is 98 or higher.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
So you do not have any issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The gauge going up to the halfway point and staying there is a good sign. That's what it's supposed to do. If the coolant level also stays constant, and the coolant doesn't change colour, then I don't think there is anything to worry about.

However, you can also pull off the oil filler cap (yellow cap on left side of engine). Look for anything funny, like a "chocolate milkshake", on the underside. If it's just brown or black oil, maybe your oil need changing, but the head gasket is not leaking coolant into the oil.
Ok, i check the coolant level when car is cold .It was at the correct level, I also checked oil dip stick and took off the cap and looked there too no issue. temp. of car stay in safe zone{1/2 way make. i have not driven my car today but i did start it and let the temp get to the half way piont , nothing no bubbles no overflow got any other ideas on what it could be and i did run my air in my car as it sat in my driveway.

thank you for you responds
Dawn

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Sounds like you're good right now.

But do keep an eye on the coolant level. That is your FIRST indication of trouble.

Once you have checked it a few times over the next week, and it's all normal, you only need to check monthly--or if something else goes wrong

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Sounds that you have not completed cooling system bleeding and now it is completed.

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
If it's right here in the middle between H and L when it is warmed up it is perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you're good right now.

But do keep an eye on the coolant level. That is your FIRST indication of trouble.

Once you have checked it a few times over the next week, and it's all normal, you only need to check monthly--or if something else goes wrong
up-date today I finally found the issue..it was leaking from the hose that goes to the fire wall 50.00 later and a day to wait on the part I should be good to go. thank you for everyone's help. I did not want to give up on my cat I Love my Saab.

·
Super Moderator
19,794 Posts
Yes, keep your cats healthy folks! ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Dawn....Good to see another 'Saab lover' in NC.
These cars are not very common here among the 'truck and SUV' set.
Make sure to open the heater valve by selecting full hot after the hoses are replaced.
That'll purge the air out of the heater matrix to ensure you are at maximum capacity on the coolant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts