SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the heck is all this 'stage #' stuff?
Could someone please break down and 'splain this to me?

Thanks...a little slow in the uptake (intake)....jmcg
:D

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
John, the "stages" refer to different levels of performance attainable by various modifications to the ECU (electronic control unit, or the brain that controls timing, boost and other combustion parameters), the exhaust system, the intercooler, the turbo, or a combination of all of them.

Generally -- and this a very loose definition --the stages go something like this:

Stage 1: Minor change to ECU programming, everything else stock
Stage 2: Slightly more intensive change to the ECU, everything else stock, or some breathing mods.
Stage 3: Everything above, plus downpipe and new programming
Stage 4: Everything above, plus upgraded intercooler and new programming
Stage 5: Everything above, plus full exhaust, new turbo, new injectors and new programming.
From there the turbos get bigger and you progress from Stage Insanity, Stage Pee in Pants, Stage Loss of Spinchter Control, to Stage Bankruptcy.

Again, that's a very loose definition as it's off the top of my head before 9 a.m. and "The Backyardigans" are on in the background....:cool:

Unfortunately...none of them apply to naturally aspirated cars, but you can see some performance gains by improving the breathing and exhaust...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well yeah, those are mearly about what you need. Stage 4 for example also needs the TD04, but the general idea of the upgrades are there.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
mike saunders said:
Stage 1: Minor change to ECU programming, everything else stock
Stage 2: Slightly more intensive change to the ECU, everything else stock, or some breathing mods.
Stage 3: Everything above, plus downpipe and new programming
Stage 4: Everything above, plus upgraded intercooler and new programming
Stage 5: Everything above, plus full exhaust, new turbo, new injectors and new programming.
From there the turbos get bigger and you progress from Stage Insanity, Stage Pee in Pants, Stage Loss of Spinchter Control, to Stage Bankruptcy.

Where's stage "New Underwear"?

:cool:;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
tucksayre said:
Stage 3 you need a viggen intercooler. That is the only extra thing I see.
Rather a proper aftermarket IC since the Viggen unit is not much to have :roll:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, a naturally aspirated car owner has no 'stage play'?

How about if I hooked up a 'converter' under the hood and plugged in a non-heated blow dryer (hair dryer) and fixed it to the stock air box with a drop in filter?
:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
jmcg said:
So, a naturally aspirated car owner has no 'stage play'?

How about if I hooked up a 'converter' under the hood and plugged in a non-heated blow dryer (hair dryer) and fixed it to the stock air box with a drop in filter?
:cheesy:
you'd make at least 50hp with the filter alone, the hairdryer will get you up to 600whp.

p.s. yeah, the filter part was a way of making fun of myself ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya.

I will 'imagine' a 50hp gain with drop in filter.
It will be great.

:D

9-3sleeper said:
you'd make at least 50hp with the filter alone, the hairdryer will get you up to 600whp.

p.s. yeah, the filter part was a way of making fun of myself ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts