SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the difference between stainless steel and aluminised steel?

I'm looking at exhausts and EIK have some reasonably priced 3" stuff, but if the aluminised doesn't last 'forever' like stainless does then I'm staying away.

Or if someone's got a 3" system recently, where di they get it? Save me researching :cheesy:

thanks
Dan.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey.. I've got the JT/Speedparts 3" system, which is aluminized steel. It's a totally different animal to stainless. Stainless is a steel alloy which doesn't rust - it will also usually be thinner gauge, and thus sound different. The aluminized steel is an ordinary mild steel, which has been plated with aluminium as a corrosion inhibitor. Although it should last longer than a standard system it will corrode, especially around the welds and the mounting points.

I like the system I have. However, if I had the money at the time I would have gone stainless I think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends how long you are going to keep the car for?
S/Steel has been known to crack this has happened to me in the past (not on a Saab) My 3" JT system has been on for 2 1/2 years now...no probs, others I know of have had theirs for 5+ years also with no problems. Yes the s/steel system does sound different and louder which also transmits into the cabin.

You could mix the two Alu. mild steel downpipe and the rest in s/steel, my downpipe still looks brand new due to heat and should last me for a good few years yet:D

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
I mixed mine too - no problems. JT 3" ceramic coated downpipe, 3" s/steel race cat and a length of 3" 304 s/steel pipe to join onto a 3" JT aluminised steel cat back system. All fitted no problems and at the price of the cat back system, if I have to replace it in 4-5 years, it wont be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I think you need to see yourself owning the car for say 5 or more years to justify stainless steel. It is much better but costs more.

My original Saab back box rusted out in just over 2 years, and the replacement Abbott s/s box is now nearly 10 years old and most 9k owners that see it still want to steal it, it looks and sounds great. You get what you pay for if you shop smart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts