SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a new exhaust on my 1999 9-5, looking in the cheap range, something that sounds good, but not ricer, nordic, any suggestions, straight pipes, big muffler, lookin for suggestions

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
bmxfratboy said:
I want to put a new exhaust on my 1999 9-5, looking in the cheap range, something that sounds good, but not ricer, nordic, any suggestions, straight pipes, big muffler, lookin for suggestions
I just installed this one and I've VERY pleased. I got the 3" stainless steel, which is a little more expensive than the aluminum but the fit and finish is superb I must say. The sound is very subdued; nice an deep but but loud at all and definitely NOT ricer. They are one of the very few, if any that offer a 3" in the U.S. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
stipud said:
Nothing is cheaper than going to an exhaust shop and having them replace your resonator with a piece of straight pipe.
...yeah but where's the performance benefit in that? If you just want it to be louder I guess that would work and yes it's cheap but that's a really ricer thing to do, even if it won't sound like a ricemobile. I thought the purpose of an exhaust upgrade was to make the car better than the factory, not just make it sound better. I'm surprised at you stipud! :cheesy: Cheers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of the local shops I know the guy who does custom exhuasts and he said he would do one for me. Disregarding price, which would be better, the CTI exhaust or a custom made one (probably using magnaflow)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The bending technique actually makes some difference. I went with the 3" CTI exhaust as well, and also love the hell out of it, and it's mendrel bent rather than standard bending. How much are they quoting you for a cat-back if it were 3"?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The CTI exhaust is from a custom exhaust shop... it's not built on an assembly line or anything. The guy seems to be quite a talented exhaust builder... though i'm sure you can get something very similar done locally.

Here's a typical assembly line exhaust:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=423

It's very good, but also very quiet. And judging from your previous posts you seem to want to be loud.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
stipud said:
The CTI exhaust is from a custom exhaust shop... it's not built on an assembly line or anything. The guy seems to be quite a talented exhaust builder... though i'm sure you can get something very similar done locally.

Here's a typical assembly line exhaust:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=423

It's very good, but also very quiet. And judging from your previous posts you seem to want to be loud.
Oh I realize that, but he can mendrel bend, I'm not sure that all shops can.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Custom full performance exhaust

After a long wait from Nordic, I visited a local muffler shop. I showed the various photos of complete systems from downpipe which I found through threads in this forum as well as what’s sold on speedparts. se. As a result I’m offered a complete system twin exhaust system for $500 made from SS and it will be 3” until the separation point for twin which will be linked to final silencers by 2.5” pipes. Silencers will be also custom made and sound level will be adjusted by the level of material density. He also informed that there’s a way to fool the double sensors to prevent a fault sign. I plan to purhcase the material for racecat during my visit to UK by end of this month but I need a contact for supplier. We will use a smaller silencer to replace current central silencer. Bending of 3” SS pipes will be made at a specialized place as he informs.

Do you think I would be able to accomplish an exhaust system that would meet the flow rate of what Nordic offers (Ferrita 3” downpipe with racecat and 2.5” single exhaust system) by this local solution? Is there anything we need to consider while making this custom system?

Please let me also know where in UK I can find material for racecat. I also need a good front mount intercooler with all pipes so supplier for a reasonable price in UK.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If you were anywhere near the US, I would tell you to get a Genuinesaab downpipe, and then fabricate your own catback. No exhaust shop should have trouble making the catback for our cars, as they seem to be nothing special. However the downpipe has some tricky flanges, and that large round bend that is difficult to do. Genuinesaab's downpipe is a work of exhaust art as far as that is concerned... now if only they would make a catback :lol:

With a proper race cat in place you shouldnt have any difficulty in tripping check engine lights. Lots of people use JT, Genuinesaab, CTI, and other such performance downpipes with no issues.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
Can anyone in UK help me for supplier contacts for race cat material and high performance FMIC? If cheap, I may consider to purchase just the downpipe as size wise it would be OK to take it with me. I know the UK Saab websites and abbt but I wonder if there are alternatives.
Are you looking for a custom FMIC? Or a drop-in for the stock location FMIC?

I've got no clue where to look for cat material.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm going for stage 3 and in summer it really gets very hot around here in summer. So you tell me which one I need? I was going for the Nordic (no picture on their website) one but it takes ages to receive it from that part of the world. I need the whole system with piping.

This is from a Nordic project so I assume sth like this:
http://www.garaget.org/?car=6883&image=109754

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
I'm going for stage 3 and in summer it really gets very hot around here in summer. So you tell me which one I need? I was going for the Nordic (no picture on their website) one but it takes ages to receive it from that part of the world. I need the whole system with piping.
Considering it gets so hot, I'm sure you use your A/C, which quickly heat soaks an intercooler in the stock location.

I actually ordered my intercooler from ebay from a guy named just-intercoolers and it works amazing. I have yet to heatsoak it, even on 90 degree days. I love that I can run the A/C without sapping every bit of power from the car. The intercoolers are incredibly well built, the welds are very nice, the end-tanks are some of the most well made I've seen and the pressure drop is pretty minimal. I think total it cost me $200 including shipping and piping. There is a thready by guitarguypersondude around here somewhere that tells you what piping you need.

However, I recommend you do 2" piping, not the 2.5" that is in that thread. The turbo outlet is 2" and the delivery pipe is 2", so might as well get an intercooler with 2" in and out's and run 2" piping so that there is minimal pressure loss. Plus 2.5" piping isn't really necessary unless you have a 400 hp I4, V6, or V8, our I4's don't flow enough air to warrent a 2.5" pipe. I'll be switching to 2" very soon.

(Plus, the 2" piping fits so much easier than the 2.5", it's a tiiight fit in some spots w/ 2.5")

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks

SectorNine50 said:
Considering it gets so hot, I'm sure you use your A/C, which quickly heat soaks an intercooler in the stock location.

I actually ordered my intercooler from ebay from a guy named just-intercoolers and it works amazing. I have yet to heatsoak it, even on 90 degree days. I love that I can run the A/C without sapping every bit of power from the car.
Thanks for the information and it is a good point about piping . I made a search with words "Saab Intercooler" and "Saab FMIC" and couldn't find that seller you mentioned. Please let me know if you can trace him back. I found various FMIC with various sizes and brand is Godspeed. Is this the one and which size?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
Thanks for the information and it is a good point about piping . I made a search with words "Saab Intercooler" and "Saab FMIC" and couldn't find that seller you mentioned. Please let me know if you can trace him back. I found various FMIC with various sizes and brand is Godspeed. Is this the one and which size?
It won't necessarily say "SAAB" on it, as it's only the size of the intercooler that really matters. You have to make your own way of mounting it either way.

This is his store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Just-Intercoolers_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

This is the intercooler I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FM-T...emQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ015QQitemZ250182517809

Something similar size will fit perfectly, try not to get one over 6" tall as it will hang below the bumper. If you have a non-aero, that one will too, but not very badly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts