SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start this post out by saying i dont want my car to sound like a ricer!
But my question is how can i make my exhuast tone deeper..I have the saab sport exhasut and about to get a 3" DP..not sure wether to get Jaks' or Nicks but im getting one..but is there anything else i can do for a deeper rumbly noise? i dont want it to sound like a farting honda tho

Thanks alot!

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
your car would never sound like a honda! Even if u put a fart can on your saab it would definately sound better than some 1.6L n/a pos. Muffler tips change the tone of exhausts quite a bit. Besides a full 3'' exhaust thats all I can recommend.

·
Registered
866 Posts
3" open pipe from the axle back with no muffler - deep, burbly tone. Sounds great. Leave it in second slowing down from 40 or so, its burbling along, popping, farting, sounds freakin great. And not too loud - not ricey AT ALL. This was the setup my buddy was running on his '96 900 turbo, with an otherwise stock exhaust. I have 2.5" axle-back on mine and I love the sound too. Would've gotten the 3" but the shop at the time didn't have it and I didn't feel like waiting. Really a great, and CHEAP, way to go. It cost me $80 for Meineke to hack off my crappy old muffler and replace it with pipe. Sounds great, next I'll get rid of my resonator and get a high-flow cat on it. Rawr.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have the GS dp and the 2.5" sport exhaust, it sounds very throaty, and deep. My friend with a 5.0 mustang couldn't believe it was a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a GS downpipe V2 that goes to 2.5 inch pipe, then after the axle is a 3 inch cherrybomb about 14 or 15 inches long. Let me tell you it is loud, these guys saying cut off the muffler are wacko. I want a bigger muffler because it draws too much attention. The only thing cool about it is people get the F*** out of your way when they hear you coming at full song then the dump valve then more WWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it is ricey to be that loud and I want a bigger muffler. Plus with an open intake and the BOV I think the induction noises are cooler but they get covered up.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My exhaust is completely stock with the exception of the 2.5" pipe from the axle back. I still have the resonator following the cat. I'm not kidding when I say the car isn't loud. It's got a great tone, and the volume level is just right. I'd love to go a bit louder even. Any typically modded STI or Evo, SRT4, etc is way louder than my car without its muffler.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'm not guna lie to ya, my car is loud. I got an sti to pull off after me because I was so loud passing by him sitting at the stoplight. If you don't want it to be like this, you can keep the double muffler thing, GS offers that. But me, I'm happy right where I am, it makes me feel more into the whole driving experience.

·
Registered
933 Posts
You just having a resonator and me not having one but a good sized glasspack, your car must be louder than mine. I guess what I was trying to say was that my car sounds totally awsome but I just don't want that much volume. SRT-4's seem about as loud as my car. It is just a matter of opinion, most everyone loves the way my car sounds.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Corn Cob said:
You just having a resonator and me not having one but a good sized glasspack, your car must be louder than mine. I guess what I was trying to say was that my car sounds totally awsome but I just don't want that much volume. SRT-4's seem about as loud as my car. It is just a matter of opinion, most everyone loves the way my car sounds.
You think so? THose cherry bombs are pretty loud aren't they? I get what you're sayin though man. There are times when it isn't convenient.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Like when you tearing off but aren't speeding, but a nearby cop hears you and follows for 10 minutes that sucks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I *just* got the Saab Sport CBE + Jak's DP installed on my car this week. The sound is nice, a bit deeper than stock, about 25% louder at idle, 50% louder at WOT. The exhaust tone is unique, very european (not ricey at all) and has kind of an interesting "flatness" to it.

Highly recommended. :)

-DJ

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
3" DP and system with cat and 2 straight-through mufflers is similar in sound to a Volvo A30D :cheesy:

Less rice, more rock :cool:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I thought about it all day, and maybe what I feel is that the car is too loud for it's power level. If I through on a T25/28 and stage four I wouldn't feel bad about my volume. Right now I feel like at my power MBC+A, my already mentioned exhaust, viggen intercooler, and GS CAI, I am too loud. One night I barily beat a riced out integra, being I have a loud SAAB I should be able to put a hurtin' on a riced out integra that his momma could feel. I wonder if that integra kid told his budies that a saab beat him?

·
Registered
723 Posts
loud doesnt mean fast

i raced a loud firebird, as i passed him the noise created a doppler effect

integras are uncomfortable, i bet the ricer kid was thinking, wow that guy looks comfortable, as you zoom past him

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will adding the DP to the sport exhaust help me out on making my exhaust louder/deeper?? will i notice a difference between Jaks or GS??

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bummer 9-3 said:
will adding the DP to the sport exhaust help me out on making my exhaust louder/deeper?? will i notice a difference between Jaks or GS??
yeah it'll be louder lol, had more of a turbo whine too

i haven't heard of a real diff, between ja, and nicks, i do prefer jak over nick tho, sry to say, but the two times i've bought from nick, they been really bad products, that he didn't seem to want to solve

i know some ppl have great experiences with him, i've only had bad

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Corn Cob said:
Like when you tearing off but aren't speeding, but a nearby cop hears you and follows for 10 minutes that sucks!
Oh man do I feel you there, I had a cop pull a u turn in the middle of a 4 lane to get behind me, I kept the speedo right on the limit for like 3 mi. before he gave it up.

Made me chuckle.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just because you get up to speed with the quikness, doesn't mean you intend to keep the hammer down. It is very rare that I go more than 10 over the limit, but every chance I have to lay down the hammer you bet your @$$ I do. This is off topic completely sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts