SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be peoples considered opinion?? The Abbott system that is up for grabs on a certain 'auction site', or what else could be had for around £350 (?) as a full cat back system?? ( which is what I am guessing that system will feasibly change hands for?)

Would love to do the full down pipe but have realised I already have a manifold stud missing and dont really wish to tempt fate by messing with it all? Or maybe, its time to drop the lot and sort that out too?? ;oops:

Bonus points for any prompt replies as the auction is up this time tomorrow!! ;)

Thanks in advance as always... :cheesy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Going to one of the muffler chain stores is likely to be the cheapest. They've got benders and every size pipe imaginable and more often than not will custom bend and install the new exhaust while you wait for less than any of the Saab tuner companies, possibly even less than eBay.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Yea, but the chain muffler shops use pipe benders that crimp the pipe in the bends and that hurts the flow you are trying to establish by going with a full mandrel bent exhaust system.

If you ever look at the two side by side, there is quite a difference in how much the pipe crimps in on a standard pipe bending machine. It actually makes the pipes id smaller and its less smooth and both hurt performance. That is one reason the mandrel bent exhaust and dp's cost more from the guys that make them up. Mandrel cost more!

You would be better off ordering all the mandrel bent pipes that you need to make the dp or exhaust and having a muffler shop weld one up that way with the right material!

John

·
Registered
803 Posts
There's one around here that does mandrel systems for about $175 without mufflers. I'm sure it can't be the only one in the world.:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exhaust

Im thinking that cat back system is the same one that was being advertised on the UK SAAB forum for £250.

I personally found no difference in performance when i had a 3" JT downpipe fitted. For that matter my Speedparts strutbrace and JT filter have also made no difference!!!!!!!!

I think its a case of all or nothing, save up and go for a stage 3.

·
Registered
593 Posts
go for a custom 3 "...

like this ...

·
Registered
593 Posts
team dynamics pro race 1.2

price ...I got a very special deal but normal price is less than 500

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got an excellent quality stainless system made up by Longlife exhausts in Leeds - made up from scratch with `straight thro` boxes - very quiet or could have been as loud as I wanted - under £300. I`m sure they`d discuss exactly what you wanted.
Don`t want to upset anyone, but if you`ve ever handled or heard the ****** racing version the phrase `beer can` & `tinny sound` come to mind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the full Abbott Racing 2.5" system on my 9000 Aero.

With the 4" rear pipe.
It is disapointly quiet, in fact its not much different to the factory saab exhaust.

Next time im going to LongLife in Basingstoke and have a full 3" system custom made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts