SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My overzealous state inspection determined that my entire exhaust system needs to be replaced. I have 3 weeks to fix the exhaust and have it reinspected. If its not fixed in 3 weeks, I have to have it completely reinspected to the tune of $70.

The car is currently stock but I would like the exhaust to be the first of my upgrades including an ECU. I am interested in a turbo back exhaust, include higher flowing cat. My budget is somewhat limited given I just purchased the car.

I contacted GenuineSaab to talk about their Nordic Stage 3 package including the 3" JT exhaust. On paper this looks great given the price including an ECU upgrade. They never returned my emails or calls. When I finally got a hold of "the guy" I needed to talk to, he was a complete a-hole and I want no part of their business.

My local shop wants $1k for a 3" system installed, not including the 3" downpipe which they say they cant fabricate + downpipe installation. This seems excessive.

I am confortable installing the exhaust myself provided I can use clamps rather than welding. Does anybody have any suggestions of what exhaust system to get and from where? Has anybody in the Baltimore Maryland area had any good luck with local shops?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
414 Posts
well.....i have JT 3inch Exhaust ....its great....i bought mine in 2 parts used....saved a bundle.....it installs pretty easy (easier with beer and pizza) i think on the classifieds u can get the downpipe from the guy i bought the rest of the catback from...and then just be on the look out for the catback....sorry about ur bad experience from nordic...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
well im not quite sure who you might have talked to at GS but that doesnt sound normal at all.

i would give them a second chance. you can get the Jt for like 500 bucks, and its all slip fit turbo to tail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy at GenuineSaab gave me mixed information regarding the installation of the exhaust. He kept telling me I could not install it myself, that a shop would have to do it, but he indicated it came with clamps. Anybody actually bought the JT exhaust from GS and installed it yourself? Was any welding necassary or anything else that might trip a weekend warrior like me up?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
nezzer said:
The guy at GenuineSaab gave me mixed information regarding the installation of the exhaust. He kept telling me I could not install it myself, that a shop would have to do it, but he indicated it came with clamps. Anybody actually bought the JT exhaust from GS and installed it yourself? Was any welding necassary or anything else that might trip a weekend warrior like me up?
yes i have it, and have had it for 5 years on 3 different cars. it is all slip fit with u clamps.

they are a hand made piece so sometimes you need to shorten the rear section to sit the tip where youd like it.

the downpipe on a 9k is a pain in the **** just because of the tight space but its doable if you keep your wits about you for more than 10 minutes.

start soking bolts in liquid wrench now, especially the 3 bolts on the turbo.

and heres a soundclip for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting my exhaust work done by Jak Stoll. I read about his work from some other posters. I called him to find out more info about the exhaust systems he puts together. He was more than happy to discuss all the details of the work he does. Not only that, he helped me troubleshoot a boost issue over the phone. This way I could get it fixed before having him work on the car on a tight schedule. I should specify that I drove the car down to his shop. It was about an 8 hour drive for me, but very pleasant (god those aero seats are comfortable).

Anyways he ended up replacing the exhaust manifold gasket, extracted and replaced 2 manifold bolts, did a 3" turbo back stainless steel exhaust system, replaced all vacuum lines with silicon, and did an ECU upgrade at the same time. All in all it took a little over a day for all that.

So far I have been very happy with the work. Now that the turbo is boosting even higher, my original stock fuel pump is having a hard time keeping up. That will be my next replacement. Also my wastegate is not holding the max boost. Thats 2nd on my list. All in all the exhaust looks great. Jak did a great job with the fit and finish. I will say that it is a tad louder than I would like, but then again I am going for lexus quite. I think a little dynamat sound deadener in the trunk will take care of the extra exhaust noise.

Overall I recommend Jak Stoll to anyone else within driving distance of North Carolina who needs some performance work done. One caution though, it would be wise to double and even triple check your work and part orders with Jak before heading down there. He tends to be a little forgetful, perhaps from the multitude of saabs he sees.

Here is a teaser photo. You can see the rest on my website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts