SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the turbo on my 2006, and while doing that I decided to fix the busted exhaust stud.

When I say "left" I mean left from the seated position in the car. Front is Front.

So the busted stud was the left most stud, next to the transmission. I started cutting into it through the manifold, but I got nervous. The stud's been broken inside the head for a while, and I was afraid the manifold had shifted and I was drilling into the head. So I went to pull the manifold while the turbo was out. But I couldn't get it out past the power steering pump bracket.

And annoyingly I had to remove the mount bracket on the right side of the engine to get access to the power steering bracket bolt. GAH. Turns out the right most stud is a long one. But unlike the ones on top that hold the heat shield, I couldn't find any reason for that one on the bottom right to be long. Can anybody confirm I'm not crazy and some previous mechanic replaced it with a long one? Probably what he had on hand.

I'm not going to fix it, the pump and manifold are back in place. Broken stud is repaired, and the car is waiting for me to install the new turbo today.

Pic of broken stud. I'm super happy about getting that out...

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
you are right that the one behind the pump bracket is a long stud. I've never seen any reason that it should be long but it is. If you were going to replace it with a short one I can't see any reason that would not work. Other than it'll be harder to get a wrench on the nut without taking the PS pump and bracket off.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh. Thanks.

I'm struggling with several of those kinds of decisions on this car right now. So many WTF? moments. hahahaha I've had Saabs for years, but I don't think I've struggled as much as I have with this 9-5. If I didn't love the damn thing so much... ;)

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I've replaced the lower long studs on all three of my cars with B2XX motors with short ones. I have a gigantic box of Saturn studs, which are the same length as Saab's short studs, but have a E-Torx head on them so you can actually get them off in the future. I've had no problems with them breaking. I'd replace the upper long studs with the short ones, too, but I like having the manifold heat shields on the cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts