SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 9-5 SE Wagon V6. Recently, I've noticed what smells to me like burning coolant and this seems to come mostly from the exhaust. I had the coolant flushed last week and the smell seemed to have gotten worse. The old coolant was rather filthy.
This all led me to believe that there may be a cracked head. I don't, however, see any white smoke from the exhaust and have full power still. The new coolant shows no sign of oil leaking back into the coolant as it's still bright green.
To add to matters, since it has been getting colder here in NY, I notice that sometimes when I start the car, there is a knock for about 15-20 seconds and then it goes away. Not sure if this is related, but am concerned none-the-less.
Anyone want to take a stab here?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I'll have to do some research to find out what/where this valve is. Is physical inspection enough to check a leak on this guy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more info

after a bit more investigating, i find that the smell is actually coming out only when the heater is on. no white smoke out of exhaust and no oil or antifreeze loss that is excessive. any ideas?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If it smells like burning coolant, it is almost definitely the coolant bypass valve.

If it smells like burning oil, it is almost definitely the oil pressure sensor.

Both parts are prone to failing. On the I4, both of them are located right above the exhaust, so when they leak they drip down onto the exhaust, and cause a nasty burning smell in the engine bay. Since your vents draw air from the back of the engine bay, it then sucks this into the car and gives you that nice soothing smell of burning when you are stopped at traffic lights.

Now because you smell coolant, and because the oil pressure sensor may be located elsewhere (not sure where it is on the V6), I would put my money on Kermit's diagnosis as well.

G

·
I have that same problem, so I do need a new bypass valve if I smell coolant. Those are the same right? coolant bypass and the dumpvalve? Also anyone got loud turbo noises almost like a truck? I am trying to find out if its related to the dumpvalve...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
BeachBum1 said:
Those are the same right? coolant bypass and the dumpvalve? ...
Erm....................nope :nono;

Coolant bypass (part of the cooling system):

Dump valve (part of the turbo charger system)

·
Registered
130 Posts
BeachBum1 said:
I have that same problem, so I do need a new bypass valve if I smell coolant. Those are the same right? coolant bypass and the dumpvalve? Also anyone got loud turbo noises almost like a truck? I am trying to find out if its related to the dumpvalve...
Re: turbo... Does the spin-up sound 'loose' like a knockety-knockety or uniform like a Mack truck accelearating from a stop? I'd start a new thread so folks can find this question instead of burying it in a thread about coolant burning.

Edit: Man, I'm slow--you already have a new thread. ;oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts