SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 9³ stage 3 tune. 3" GS V2 downpipe with 2.5" BSR.

A couple weeks ago, I did a thing where I was driving spirited, you know with my foot to the floor. I was in 3rd as it wrapped out bouncing off the limiter, I slammed the gearbox into 2nd and dumped the clutch. Not ideal, I know. Needless to say, I bent every exhaust valve and dumped loads of fuel into the exhaust as I rolled to a stop cycling through the gears to get it to go. I didnt. Towed home, head removed, valves replaced. Piston tops cleaned up. Started right up, idles and drives fine.

Second drive, I decided to finally lean on it and see if everything was good to go. I got a huge plume of black smoke and what sounded like a ton of restriction. I pulled the DP and disconnected the 3" to 2.5" neck down and found the catalyst had melted, dislodged and jammed in the neck down portion. I removed that thinking all would be better, but something just doesnt seem right.

I used to reliably hit 21 psi and now I'm only hitting 16 psi and the tailpipe sounds like it's still restricted. I'm wondering if the remainder of the catalyst is lodged in the muffler or resonator and still causing a problem? I'm also wondering if the now gutted Cat which bulges up to about a 5 or 6" diameter could be causing a problem with flow? Do I need to cut it out and straight pipe it?

20191215_184608.jpg
20200126_162256.jpg
20200126_162204.jpg
20200126_162107.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
I’d guess chunks of your cat are probably in the muffler... 😬

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some additional information from this mornings drive to work. Accelerating on the freeway entrance ramp from 55 to 75, I could hear the exhaust struggling, but at the same time, the car stumbled like I was hitting fuel cut. The CEL started to flash but went out. I have Torque, but not running at the time. The pending code was P1300, not enough fuel. Would having a free flowing gutted cat allow more air through allowing it to lean out?

Car was completely rebuilt 3 years ago, stock SE B205, TD04-15T. Upgrades are exhaust & tune.
I've changed the spark plugs every 5k miles at the oil change, they've always looked fine.
Recent parts were a fuel return check valve, replaced new OEM (early August 2019). 2 months later fuel pump O'Reilly direct replacement (early October 2019). The fuel pump was working fine before I bent the valves (end November 2019). It ran like a beast.

I wish I had an AFR meter, but I don't. I do have full time view of fuel trims and O2 operation. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. Would an upgrade to the FPR be a quick test? Would a 3.5 bar FPR work with OEM injectors? Is this still an exhaust flow issue? Is my gutted cat now flowing too much with too little back pressure? If my downstream exhaust is plugged, which it probably is, the exhaust will find it's way out somehow, though I would think it would at least create some back pressure under heavy load.

The tune is by MPS and I've been happy with it for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SOLVED
After work I checked plumbing to BPC to make sure I put that back correctly, and I did. All vacuum lines were good. Started the car and decided to check the tailpipe. Visually I saw the condensation coming out only half of the tip, it sounded funny too. Then I leaned over to look.

The proverbial banana in the tailpipe. I found the rest of my catalyst. She runs good now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
I’d guess chunks of your cat are probably in the muffler... 😬
SOLVED
After work I checked plumbing to BPC to make sure I put that back correctly, and I did. All vacuum lines were good. Started the car and decided to check the tailpipe. Visually I saw the condensation coming out only half of the tip, it sounded funny too. Then I leaned over to look.

The proverbial banana in the tailpipe. I found the rest of my catalyst. She runs good now.
What did I win for guessing this? :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts