SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my exhaust is just itching to be taken apart. here are some of the things I thought of so far....

*replace everything after the manifold with a short tube out the side
*4 seperate tubes, 1 for each cylinder running to the nearest outside are
*cutting the existing manifold before it joins into one and doing the 4 tube idea
*something else super cheap

Problems:
*these will be wayyyyy to loud
*crazy loud gunshot when shifting, machine gun when letting off gass
*rumor has it i could run lean (I doubt this)

Solutions:
*incorporate a new idea using some sort of glass pack exhaust or something else
*find some device that keeps the cops from jumping behind cars with guns drawn when it "pops".... some sort of butterfly valve?
*car will control the leaning issues on it's own?

I am open to allllll suggestions or ideas or help. I'm looking for the most performance and future performance. Quiet is good, but I dont want to sacrifice performance or money.
-Alex

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
haha, well you'll need to have the oxygen sensor hooked up so it'll detect the exhaust from all the cylinders, but after that, i'd say do whatever... personally for your car... i'd say 2 1/2" straight pipe all the way back? that way it won't be too terribly loud, but you'll still have performance gains

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alll the way back? as in behind front wheel all the way? or like in front of rear wheel all the way? surely you arent talking about that notch looking thing in my rear bumper...besides, going over the rear axle looks hard.

Where is the O2 sensor? before the cat hopefully?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
lol all the way back as in back to the rear bumper... trust me, it's wayyyy too loud if you have it to just the front wheel area :lol: and yes, the O2 sensor should be right near the merge point of the two manifolds, before the catalytic converter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know how serious you are about this, but honestly, dont. I got my car with nothing but a manifold. Trust me, its loud. I put a cat on it a glasspack,and the stock resonator on it just so I didn't wake babies when I drove it. Its not worth the time, and trouble that your going to go through to make a slow car..still slow.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
as stated ^^^ your exhast isnt the bottleneck on a N/A. if anything just pop a 2.1 header on, with a turbo exhaust from the cat back. this is relativly cheap, has a nice sound, and flows way more than a N/A ever need.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you mean a 2.1 header? like aftermarket? Also, I have the option to get a 2.3L head...worth the money/trouble? Easy mod? what needs to be done?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
2.3 head not a great idea on an N/A - you'll drop compression, and make less power than stock. Its simple - if you want more power, it will be cheaper to drop in a turbo engine. ( or get a donor turbo engine and turbo your N/A engine )

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
2.1 as in 91-93 900 n/a. they were 2.1 and had a header that flowed air a lot better than your standard 2.0 n/a exhast header

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yfs87: I have a 91, so I'm assuming I already have the header. I might just plop on a short tube, then glasspack or other non restrictive muffler, the find the closest path to out from under the car maintaining stock or better clearance.

Philib: If I every find a turbo engine or car...I'll let you know :roll: as for now I'll stick with my trusty N/A. If I ever get the car back on the road it will most likely see it's fair share of off-road roads, and I think it would be cool to have a fast N/A. Basically I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for a turbo.

Who knows...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts