SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As my car is going in for its suspension upgrade, I was wondering about doing the Exhaust at the same time.

I currently have stage 1 (BSR) on a 2.0t 2001 model.

As far as I can see, Stage 2 is just a Back cat upgrade. Stage 3 includes a 3” Down pipe, Plus software. Ok so far but...:confused:

My questions are:

What is the difference between a “race” and “sports” Cat?:confused:

Can I run the full 3” system without upgrading the software? If not what problems could I get, would the ECU get it self in a muddle as it doesn’t know the hardware?

If I can do this with out doing anything bad to the engine, what perfomance HP, Torque wise could I get?, would it be a stage 2.5?:confused: , I take it that it would be ready for more power at some stage....

And a real dumb one. ;oops: If my standard system is only 2.5” already , how does a 3” pipe go into a 2.5” hole?, or doesn’t it work like that.:eek:

Thanks in advance

Puli

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think if you upgrade hardware, but stay at a stage one software, no problems will occur. its the same concept as getting exhaust before a software upgrade: it doesnt cause problems, the hardware upgrade just wont be optimized until you upgrade the software. im not sure about the rest of your questions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
if im not mistaken, the 3" will go into the 2.5" with an adapter. You can prolly find one at a parts store or your local exhaust shop will have what you need. Somebody back me up.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hi,

As my car is going in for its suspension upgrade, I was wondering about doing the Exhaust at the same time.

I currently have stage 1 (BSR) on a 2.0t 2001 model.

As far as I can see, Stage 2 is just a Back cat upgrade. Stage 3 includes a 3” Down pipe, Plus software. Ok so far but...:confused:

My questions are:

What is the difference between a “race” and “sports” Cat?:confused:

Essentially its size, sport cat smaller then standard cat, race cat smaller than sport cat. Hopefully still passing an emissions test but flowing more exhaust gasses.

Can I run the full 3” system without upgrading the software? If not what problems could I get, would the ECU get it self in a muddle as it doesn’t know the hardware?

Not too sure about this, but i think the car may run rich/overfuel with a 3" exhaust without the appropriate software.

If I can do this with out doing anything bad to the engine, what perfomance HP, Torque wise could I get?, would it be a stage 2.5?:confused: , I take it that it would be ready for more power at some stage....

Difficult one...different mods release difference power increases, don't expect a huge increase with a 3" exhaust but no stg 3 ECU, you will notice the car spool up quicker with the 3" downpipe however.

And a real dumb one. ;oops: If my standard system is only 2.5” already , how does a 3” pipe go into a 2.5” hole?, or doesn’t it work like that.:eek:

Easy, theres a 1/2" reducer that links them.

Thanks in advance

Puli

1 - 4 of 4 Posts