SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm SO CLOSE to getting my C900T on the road, and now this. The engine was completely locked up today, had to remove the primary drive, turn it over by hand, finally got the engine turning well now, and this new problem.
As I crank, plumes of smoke come from the expansion tank. I JUST did the headgasket, it has no miles on it, what so ever. New headbolts, new everything. And I'm not talking , a little smoke, it's a good amount of exhaust. I'll do a compression test tomorow, but it has all new rings and everything, I can't concieve how the compression could be down.

This is SO annoying, I've had this car for over a year now and have never driven it. Any ideas on this new issue?
Tom

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Alright, I'm SO CLOSE to getting my C900T on the road, and now this. The engine was completely locked up today, had to remove the primary drive, turn it over by hand, finally got the engine turning well now, and this new problem.
As I crank, plumes of smoke come from the expansion tank. I JUST did the headgasket, it has no miles on it, what so ever. New headbolts, new everything. And I'm not talking , a little smoke, it's a good amount of exhaust. I'll do a compression test tomorow, but it has all new rings and everything, I can't concieve how the compression could be down.

This is SO annoying, I've had this car for over a year now and have never driven it. Any ideas on this new issue?
Tom
If there is a lot of vapour coming out of the expansion tank almost straight away from when you start the engine, there's a high probability that the head gasket has gone and combustion chamber gases are venting directly into the coolant system via one of the paths that go between the block and the head (via the head gasket sandwiched in between).

If you can, open up the engine bay, get someone else to crank the engine when things are calmed down (preferably with the engine cool) and watch what happens in the expansion tank as the engine starts. If you quickly see a lot of bubbling and then soon after the expansion tank cap starts venting vapour quickly, that'll be combustion chamber pressure.

If it doesn't happen straight away, it might be something else like the cooling fan not running and then once the engine warms up the coolant keeps getting hotter until the expansion cap begins to vent boiling coolant to cope with the over-pressure in the system. Have you double-checked all the fuses?

The early cars didn't used blade fuses and I had a problem with my 83 900S where it's fuse was in place but one else had a dodgy contact and the coolant system boiled over due to the fan not running when the engine was idling for about 15 minutes or so.

A compression test will definitely tell you if there is a problem and combined with the symptoms you might be able to nail it directly as a head gasket issue.

Craig.

·
Super Moderator
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig,
The car doesn't start "yet", so while cranking it has the gasses. Maybe it doesn't start becuase of low compression somewhere. Looks like I'll be doing a Compression test tomorow.
Tom

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
engine locked up to begin with makes me think one (or more) of the cylinders was filled with coolant, that and the fact you are getting bubbles/smoke in the expansion tank leads me to believe that you most likely have have a cylinder - cooling system leak (head/headgasket)

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
How long did the engine run with the new gasket?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts