SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust piping has apparently broken free of all the hangers (though it is still a solid unit), I have new rubber connectors and got the one on at the tailpipe so it's not scraping pavement.

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of where the other hanger points are?

Normally I would just get under it but rain/snow/mud has me in a situation where I really don't want to be wiggling around on the ground trying to figure anything out but I also don't want to make the problem worse by driving it without proper support.

1989 900S Non-Turbo.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
if hooks on box have rusted away, manufacture a piece of 25 x2mm steel that can sit under exhaust with hooks and sit in rubbbers and it will keep it in position, but round edges of or rubber will be cut through in no time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tailpipe Hanger

Hi,

I just installed a exhaust system, from the manifold all the way to the back. I put on the provided rubber hangers, and I'm having a problem with vibration. The resonator vibrates against the bottom of the fuel tank at various engine frequences. My question is, how tight against the fuel tank should the resonator be? Does it hang just below it, or tight against it? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Hi,

I just installed a exhaust system, from the manifold all the way to the back. I put on the provided rubber hangers, and I'm having a problem with vibration. The resonator vibrates against the bottom of the fuel tank at various engine frequences. My question is, how tight against the fuel tank should the resonator be? Does it hang just below it, or tight against it? Thanks for any suggestions!
The exhaust pipe should pass the side of the tank on the LHS. It should not be anywhere near the bottom of the tank. I've examined a couple of my Saabs and the pipe is 2-3 ins from the LHS of the tank and is above the level of the tank bottom surface.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
it hits the base of the boot, it only needs to be a fraction to high or out of line/level and it will resonate, remove rubber hangers, so it hangs low and put your foot on tail pipe and give it a gentle press down and a couple of mm will get rid of it,re hang and see how it goes, you might be able to do it withoiut removing hanger/rubbers but down blame me if you bust them if they are old rubbers, well that's how I did it for quickness lol:cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts