SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my rear silencer is kaput, before I get a new one could you guys help me with some info/advice;) , had a quick look and it seems my options are:-

1. Standard rear box (possibly with bolt on tailpipe - oval) approx £180
2.Sports rear box - approx £300
3.Cat back stainless steel system - BSR or Jetex (any preference?) approx £300

The exhaust system on the car looks like its completely one piece, I cant see any joints apart from in front of the cat' :confused: . I guess its the original. How would I get the new system on? Is it a problem to get joint/s put in ? Im more keen on option 3:cheesy: .
Just had the air-con checked and regassed - £79 inc VAT - is that ott? I could only find 2 local places in the Yellow Pages. The first one I called ,in response to my query I heard the receptionist asking one of the fellas there "do you know anything about airconditioning?" :eek:

Thanks for any help , Im looking to do this very soon .

X

·
0 Posts
Hi Baz, go for option 3 :D Your exhaust comes in 3 section, downpipe and cat, mid section with muffler box and tail box..

£80 is about right for an A/C service, mine was about £10 cheaper but I know the chap :cheesy:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Baz, you're in the same position i found myself in, the OE exhaust is a one piece back to the downpipe. I had a hanger break on the rear box that meant it kept hitting the underside of the car. The options were...

1. Complete 3 piece system from Krap Fit for about £350....advantage being individual sections could be replaced if they were damaged/worn.
  2. Jetex or BSR cat back system... nice looking/sounding but how long do they last? £300-350 inc fitting.
  3. Custom rear box made up to sleeve over middle section after old box cut off...approx £180
  4. Custom cat back 2.5" stainless exhaust from Powerflow...... system fabricated to your spec while you wait, quiet/loud exhaust note, single/twin centre boxes. A choice of about 25 different tailpipes, oval, round, twin round, upswept dtm etc...total cost £415 but that includes a lifetime warranty.
Guess what route i went?.... no.4 of course.:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finn,this is the clamp that the new system would start from? Ionly just noticed it.

[IM

Kermit, Id love to be able to go with option 4 but my female walletminder reckon s Im pushing it buying option 3;) :eek: LOL. Kermit, I love your number plates ,where did you get from?
I think Im going to have to stealthily add the rear decor panel, ppc stage 1,fog lamps, rear speakers.......I think she'll twig it with the tinted windows tho' :cheesy: .

Thanks guys , think Ill order it now (shes gone out..)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You have removed some back pressure so it could spool the turbo up slightly quicker!

Plus.........

If you buy a Stage 1 you will have a "Stage 2" cos the software is the same, but adds a 2.5" cat back :cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Baz

I know I’me a bit late; but I think this info is worth adding to this thread.

My car’s a 1999 3.0 V6.

My back box had been slowly expiring for ~ a year, it started blowing a couple of months ago, so I went to Kwik fit, got it on the ramps had a look, it was just the back box.

Kwik fit quoted ~£300 for back box in mild steel.

Long Life in Surrey £320 for Cat back in Stainless, lifetime Guarantee with what sound you want with various tail pipes (but a non standard tail pipe would be extra).

MIJ Performance £299, exactly as long life. But they DIDN’T charge extra for a twin tailpipe. At one time they were part of the Long life Group but for some reason they had parted company.

Hi Q ~£300 mild steel

Formula 1 had nothing for my car.

The local independent could only get mild steel.

So I want to MIJ:- got there ~9:00 went for a doss around Walsall, they got finished ~ 12:30

Overall :- VERY pleased with MIJ,

I am still doing a MPG comparison; it looks like I’me getting between 1 and 2 MPG improvement,

MIJ phone No 01922 645 646.

Web:- www.mijperformance.com

I’me not connected with them at all, I’me just a happy customer.

Pete

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pete, They look quality, how are your noise levels now? The BSR system I ordered is out of stock at the moment, they offered me the Jetex but I prefer the BSR tailpipe:cool: ;) . Should arrive in about a week

Chris 9-5 said:
You have removed some back pressure so it could spool the turbo up slightly quicker!

Plus.........

If you buy a Stage 1 you will have a "Stage 2" cos the software is the same, but adds a 2.5" cat back :cool:
Heh heh:lol: Now I think that would really be pushing it! ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'm serious, the BSR Stage 1 is ECU only (maybe adds a filter) the BSR Stage 2 is ECU plus 2.5" cat back, same software! ;)

Be a shame not to buy it really wouldnt it :p

Ok I might be lying here ;oops: depends on the colour of your injectors, Stage 2 may add red ones if yours are green ;oops: sorry!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Baz

When I got there they asked me what I wanted- loud, medium or quiet. I asked for quiet, they said even the quiet may be a little louder than standard because its designed to be free flow.

They then asked what tail pipe I wanted, I said, as near to the existing as possible. (I’m past the posing / granny frightening age and I don’t want to draw attention to myself).

NOISE levels: - To me, from inside the car there seems no difference at all thru the rev range, BUT SWMBO recons it’s the same up to mid rev range but a little noisier in the higher rev range.

Pete

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info, that PPC(?) stage 1 is definitely on my list , it'll have to wait though:( . Im going to have to sort out some rear pads tomorrow and adjust the handbrake.

I just remembered ,I asked the guy at PFS about the noise level- he said it was ok. Does anyone know if the system is all in one length, Im thinking of how Im going to get it to the garage to get fitted? Cheers:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bazwold said:
Does anyone know if the system is all in one length, Im thinking of how Im going to get it to the garage to get fitted? Cheers:cheesy:
Nope its in sections, you will find that if the one on is the original it will be in one piece ;)

I had that pipe on my car, very subtle noise levels ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris ,you said you had that pipe? What happened? Dont get me worried ,it hasn't even arrived yet :lol: :cheesy:

Chris 9-5 said:
Nope its in sections, you will find that if the one on is the original it will be in one piece ;)

I had that pipe on my car, very subtle noise levels ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bazwold said:
Chris ,you said you had that pipe? What happened? Dont get me worried ,it hasn't even arrived yet :lol: :cheesy:
It was great quality and a very good fit, but as Kermit says I upgraded it further to full 3" including downpipe and race cat :cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
How loud is the 3" full exhaust with race cat? I have a guy near me that works on saabs and i am prolly gonna get him to build me one. How loud is the idle and pedal to the floor?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
uncc 9-5 said:
How loud is the idle and pedal to the floor?
Idle has a very nice "deep rumble" to it ;)

Its not intrusive on highways etc, but you do hear it when you boot it :cool:

As for foot to the floor, sorry but if I try that I am fighting to get the rubber on the road too much to listen :roll:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts