SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time to replace the exhaust on my 93 16V. Wouldn't mind installing something a bit sportier sounding but can't seem find anything reasonably priced out there. Ordered an MSS system then got a call it is back ordered and won't be available for 2-3 months! So now I'm thinking of just going with the oem from eeuroparts. Is it worth about $50.00 more than the Starla/Walker system? Car came with a Starla and didn't fit quite right though maybe it was the wrong system for the car. Anyone know of a good alternative? TIA

Dave
93 C900 N/A 16V

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you take a look at Skandix? I don't have any experience with the exhaust systems they carry, just throwing the option out there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you take a look at Skandix? I don't have any experience with the exhaust systems they carry, just throwing the option out there.
Thanks Sam. I took a look at their site and it may be what I'm looking for. The site is pretty confusing though and I will have to dig into a little deeper. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
416 Posts
I forgot to mention that as far as Skandix service goes in the U.S., I ordered my sport springs from them and my dealings with them were great and wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I just the other day ordered Maptun aka Jetex cat-back system for my 16V 900i (non-turbo car but going for turbo exhaust after evaluating options) which I've purchased from Neo Brothers (they also have the systems listed on Ebay).

I originally wanted a fully stainless system from Ferrita but they're not made any more for classic 900's.

Craig.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. Interesting, I searched around for Jetex and can only find venders in the UK. Also found Simons and Jetex are apparently the same. Skanidix sells the Simons out of the US at a good price so I'm leaning in that directions. Looks like a nice system and everthing I read indicates its just barely louder than stock and a bit deeper. Just what I'm look for. A Saab list member had one on his spg and said it sounded stock to him and the only problem he had was the bigger pipes bouncing against the body with passengers. I think I may go with it.

I just the other day ordered Maptun aka Jetex cat-back system for my 16V 900i (non-turbo car but going for turbo exhaust after evaluating options) which I've purchased from Neo Brothers (they also have the systems listed on Ebay).

I originally wanted a fully stainless system from Ferrita but they're not made any more for classic 900's.

Craig.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
but they do advertise in the Saab magazine, so I suppose that's a kind of implied endorsement.
I don't know about the Saab club, but the other marque clubs I'm involved with are very careful to state that acceptance of an ad in no way implies any endorsement. There's just no way that they can investigate every potential advertiser. (The opposite may be true, though - nobody's complained bitterly about the advertiser, else they may refuse any more ads...)

I've used PD Gough in Nottingham (http://www.pdgough.com/) for a made-to-measure stainless exhaust before now. Not cheap, but I wanted to hang the thing from the living room wall when it was finished. Truly a thing of beauty.

I'm toying with what to do about the exhaust on mine at the mo. I put a new genuine system on a couple of years ago, but was missing the bracket to the gearbox. As a result, the front of the (non-cat) centre box was hanging low, and started to get ground through on speed bumps and back lanes - and the rear of that box cracked. Got that all welded up, but now the front of the box is cracked.

So - do I...
- Get it welded up again?
- Admit defeat and replace the down-pipe/centre-box section with genuine again?
- Replace the whole system with something more entertaining?

If I do that, which? Looking at the options, there's several sources at WILDLY differing prices for the rear of the 2.5" Jetex (Neo are 65% cheaper than Moose, assuming Maptun & Jetex are the same, with PfS a little less than our antlered friends) - but Neo don't list the full downpipe-back system, only cat-back. Worth an ask, though.

Or do I go the full-fat 3" JT? This is my daily car. It needs to be fairly civilised. Would the JT be too much?

JT and Jetex are similar prices for a full system.

I might pay a little more for stainless, but not a LOT more. Is the premium for the 2.5" Abbott stainless (nearly 60% more than the full Jetex from PfS*) a step too far?

Decisions, decisions.

* - Very naughty, Abbott - A UK company quoting prices without VAT included, on a website aimed at consumers, is illegal - _especially_ when you don't even say they're exc VAT prices...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Or do I go the full-fat 3" JT? This is my daily car. It needs to be fairly civilised. Would the JT be too much?
[/i]
The 3" JT is very noisy without cat but great sound. Bearable if you keep your foot off the metal. Put cat back in mine and it's fine. Just right about town but a bit wearing on the motorway. Plus points; gives really great pickup with little lag on my vert running a mitsu turbo. Looks intimidating from the rear. Needs careful installation to avoid fouling at axle. Worth considering just a 3" downpipe. This is where the biggest gain comes from.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Worth considering just a 3" downpipe. This is where the biggest gain comes from.
That and the elbow, right? I'd prefer not to relocate the battery, though. That's the point (to my mind) at which it ceases to be "just a different exhaust, Mr Insurance"...

<thinks> Std elbow, 3" downpipe, 2.5" from the mid-point back? No, that's too complicated... I'll stick with one for the whole lot. Easier to shout at if it doesn't play nicely, too.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That and the elbow, right? I'd prefer not to relocate the battery, though. That's the point (to my mind) at which it ceases to be "just a different exhaust, Mr Insurance"...

<thinks> Std elbow, 3" downpipe, 2.5" from the mid-point back? No, that's too complicated... I'll stick with one for the whole lot. Easier to shout at if it doesn't play nicely, too.
Exactly. I've kept standard elbow and 3" all the way with standard cat. Next time (if); standard elbow, 3" to cat, 2.5" from there. The 3" over the axle is tricky.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
The OEM system works well, fits right and lasts a long time.
Other options don't, although they may sound better to some.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Classic Saabs are meant to be fun. It's not fun if you can't play with 'em.
I thought they were supposed to be practical and fun.....

Whatever they're supposed to be, I stand by my statement:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I tend to agree...only thing I am considering is a free flow cat [or strait pipe] and muffler. I want to keep the car dependable and subtle.

I think I read somewhere on this site that a Flowmaster is a good option.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I find the stock system loud enough. I've set off car alarms with it. Anything more free flowing would be overkill and obnoxious. The fit and finish of the stock exhaust is superb as well, and direct replacements are cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
That's why I looked around quite a bit before opting to go with the Maptun aka Simons (resold by a few places) 61-H2 cat-back kit. I need to renew other items in the 'pipeline' anyway so the Maptun system gives me a good quality rear section that I can match up to a factory downpipe and a good cat at the front.

Craig.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts