SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just can't figure out why so many including myself have had the ugly but very predictable misfortune of shearing off our Turbo Exhaust Manifold studs ;oops:

Not the best design or material for that matter, but, you have to expect some things to not be perfect on this engine with as many things as it does do right.

I am going to have to drill into that sheared stud (right down the middle using a guide no doubt and then reversing it out with an extractor. It's good clean fun (okay, maybe not so clean). I know have gone before me to do the same. May the auto gods be with me when I perform this feat.

At any rate, if anyone can help, I need to know the name of the casing and part number if possible for that part in the picture below that goes around the stud seen in the picture and the nut on top:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Where did that header come from? I hope that you know that it's not a stock exhaust manifold. All the Saab manifolds are cast iron and are much beefier. Those turnbuckles from the bar are trying to support the weight of the turbo, and maybe not doing a very good job.

Edit: Is this a B234l engine? The manifold in the ECP looks kind of like it, but I've never seen one seup this way.

Do you have a flex joint on the downpipe? If not, I suspect that the rocking of the engine is causing the studs to break.

That piece you have circled in the picture is a called a stud-screw. It holds the exhaust manifold and also holds the heat shield on. I don't know if the stock heatshield would fit those headers.

What other mods does the engine have? My guess is that it runs pretty well. And, it is very clean. No oil leaks there... Ron

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Yeah, that picture there is just a random engine pictured I pulled off the web, it's not mine. I have all original equipment on mine and mine DOES have oil seepage tar fur around the head. I am switching to conventional this next oil change and will keep running conventional until I do the head gasket next year.

But as for drilling/extracting out that busted stud, what do you recommend I oughta do and use for parts and process? Why do they break so much? Will having that stud gone and a few others that I notice on it today (will have to post a real picture of mine)... will it affect my head gasket oil seepage problem at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
My guess is the metal is not very good or from the constant expansion and contraction the bolt becomes more brittle over time. Also sometimes they rust due to moisture. Bolts on cars almost always fail in shear stresses (i.e. wrench).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now THAT is some serious hardware. Don't have the coin for that right now but eventually that is what I will have to do.

For those that have had to extract theirs out, did you use a right angle drill? It's pretty tight in there to go straight at it.

Also, I am noticing that I am having more and more oil come out around the head (gasket is going fast now). Time to switch to Dino? If so, 10W-40 would have to be the weight during the Summer. 5W-30 during the winter?

I'll have to start a new thread on that last one...

Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts