SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 9-3 started sounding like a tractor earlier this week...

Upon inspection I have lost 2 exhaust manifold studs :confused:

I was able to find a locally sources exhaust manifold gasket, and I should be able to remove the broken studs (found some nice write-ups in the archives on that)

What I can't for the life of me find are the Studs themselves... Neither online - EEuroparts does not have them (I emailed them and got a response that they are looking for a new supplier for that part) Nor my local stores can get them.

Does anybody know the specs for the studs?

I think they are M8 - 1.25 with 3 at 45mm long and 4 at 70mm long for size.
What I am looking for is material... I can source these in:

Mild steel
Grade 8.8
Grade 10.9
and stainless.

Also - are copper nuts important? I understand that is what was used OEM.

If any guru's can help with this...

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Did the studs break or did they unscrew and fall out? If they broke off, how long are the remains? If they broke off and you have a 1/2" left, you might be able to break them loose with a pair of good Vise grips and a propane (or mapp gas) torch.

Nick at gs.com used to sell them, and I remember a post or two about VW using the same bolts.

I just reread your post and I was thinking that you were talking about the studs fro the turbo. But, if you can get the exhaust manifold off, vise grips and a torch still might get them loose. If you have to drill and use an easy-out, you will probably need a right angle drill... Ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am honestly not sure if they fell out or broke... I don't have the manifold off yet. When I look in the hole with a mirror, I see what I think is Gasket material. I am assuming the worst, that I will have to drill and use a bolt extractor to remove any remaining stud (although if they did just fall out that would make my life easier)

My main question was on either sourcing studs, or a recommended material, so I can go to a local bolt supply company for studs.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
That is so weird, I just brought the kit from Eeuro, granted it was for a ng900, but now it isn't listed on their website. I'd give them a call, I believe it was a scantech kit (Exhaust Manifold Hardware Kit (7985146K) - Unit Price: 27.08) looking at my order.

·
Registered
18,076 Posts
That is so weird, I just brought the kit from Eeuro, granted it was for a ng900, but now it isn't listed on their website. I'd give them a call, I believe it was a scantech kit (Exhaust Manifold Hardware Kit (7985146K) - Unit Price: 27.08) looking at my order.
I thought Genuine Saab had a stainless kit available.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah, I did contact them about it; they say there old supplier no long has them, and they have run out of stock... I bet you got one of the last ones.

I think I will find out what the options are at the bolt supply company, and go for that.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have basically the same problem, one snapped stud and a gasket that has seen better days. How much do you think a shop would charge to do this? I would do this myself but I never pulled a snapped stud before.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
RM European has the Scan-Tech stud kit. They get $21.02 for it. I installed the studs in my car last year, and they seemed fine.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Do use the copper, or maybe brass - for exhaust work, these would be a wear/tear item and the steel studs will last longer.
Anti-seize ?
This may not stand up to the heat.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
I use nickel anti-seize on the exhaust parts. It withstands much higher temperatures than copper anti-seize, and won't gall stainless steel.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you send it to a machine shop to have them drill it out, seriously consider having them tap the holes for larger bolts and pay a couple bucks more for a better quality bolt. Maybe find some small block Chevy bolts and see if they can be cut to fit (would be cheap and easy to find) The manifold hole would need drilled to accommodate obviously. These bolts are common failure points, even at stock HP levels. Maybe search VW forums as their bolts are probably easier to find.

M8 1.25 is a tiny bolt as it is. The nuts on the flange for the down pipe (T25 turbo) are also M8 1.25. Auto Zone has the bolt and nut as a generic replacement nut/bolt in the isle where all the fasteners and bolts are. The bolts that are "flat black" colored are stronger I believe (like those HD impact sockets) than the chromed counterparts. Would work, but no idea when those would shear-

·
Registered
18,076 Posts
The issue is not so much the HP involved, but the expansion and contraction. That's likely much the same for any HP level. If you're running lean you could have high exhaust temps (which could happen stock with a MAF issue, with a tune issue, etc) which will hasten the demise.

This isn't the only modern car with exhaust stud issues. I think the real solution is 50K replacements, but for most of use it's too late for that and the risk of trying it at higher miles is a broken stud and a much larger job or a head pull.

FYI - it's copper nuts, steel studs. That let's you split off a nut easily if the threads rust.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
You can find that ScanTech stud set a lot cheaper than that. I think I bought mine from RMEuropean.com. One of the spacer sleeves is pretty rusty after less than a year, so their zinc plating isn't the greatest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts