SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 01 SE with only 23k on it. I bought it used about 2k ago and recently I've gottne suspicious of a "purring" sound from the flex hose righ behind the front wheels. I don't know what a SE should really sound liek so I can't tell if its just the way it sounds, but I figured the sound shouldn't be coming from up front on the exhaust. Does it seem odd to anyone that at 23k there is an exhaust leak? It doesn't really change with acceleration or anything otherthan becoming a little louder like any normal exhaust sound would.

Also I have the infamous trunk leak. I've search through all the old posts and pulled open the carpet. It is definitely coming from the RR drain pipe. I looked at the LR also and the plug isn't sealed to the body, but the RR is sealed to the body with some silicon adhesive. It looks like it was a bad job cause it still leaks. I looked from outside the car and the LR has a full open hole while the RR has a piece of Rubber stuck in middle that looks purposeful partially blocking the opening. It's a piece of the plug. Is this the way its supposed to be and should I have to seal the Rubber piece into both sides? Not the tube as that part isn't leaking but the Rubber grommet as one may call it. I'm ordering a new one and want to install it correctly.

thanks this is a great forum you've got here,

Brian

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
IMO, both of these problems should be covered with the warranty. And it may be just a bad gasket...., or a loose screw...

The flex pipe on the old Accord lasted 150K, and are they ever expensive. I now have 145K on the '96 and I plan on beating that..

On the leak, my idea is to remove both tail-lights and reseal with a flexible rubberized chalk..

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had a leak on the right side of my '01 and it actually was the gas filler hose seal.

fixed and replaced under warranty a few weeks back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tested the RR drain by putting a lot of water over the sunroof and could see the water leak out, but I have a feeling just about everything is leaking back there cause I see a little rust around both drains and the shock mounts. I think the warranty runs out soon, so I think I'll take it in and see what other nitpicky things I can find and get them repaired all at once. That's what it is there for. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the filler seal too and the lights.

I notice around the RR wheel well that there is some exterior rust forming (It is barely noticable), the other corners are all fine. What could I do to fix this, is grinding down and repainting my only real option?

Brian

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Mileage has little to do with an exhaust leak. Age is much more of a factor. The flex pipe on these cars is good for 5-6 years.

This would be a little early for yours to fail, but not all THAT unusual.
If you still have any factory warranty, they will replace it for free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts