SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all have noticed for the past few days a knocking from the underneath of the car had it on a ramp today and was fiddling with the exhaust trying to replicate the sound and it appears my exhaust is knocking against the heat shield in the centre of the car.

Need some help in solving this issue its driving me crazy every time i get in and drive i get this knocking has anbody else encountered this issue and how did you fix it???

Thanks All

Anth

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can anybody give me any help with this
Can you get under the car and try to bend the heatshield out of the way? They are pretty flimsy and easily bent!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi i i have tried the heatshield and yet i still get this knocking ordered new rubbers for exhaust today pick them up at 4.30 so will let you know if this fixes the issue tommorrow after i've fitted them

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've a similar problem
The mechanic said that it was a broken bracket the held the pipe to the underside of the chasis and that it would knock until the bracket was fixed.

I'm sorry if this was mentioned already

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just move the exhaust around until you can find the loose point. You should be able to find where the bracket should be, if not this way, then by discoloration. You you could always just buy a new one and find a good spot to mount it to keep the exhaust from banging into the heat shield.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
No, I'm sorry, no photos of the bracket available

The post above is right. It's a u-bolt deal

my mechanic would run said it would run around $50 bucks or so. I can't tell exactly where, and if the guy told me, I've definately forgotten but it sounds like it's coming from around the center of the car.

Next time you check, look near/around the center heat-shield area and see if you can spot the missing bracket.

I would, but I don't have access to a lift right now :cry:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah thats where the noise is from sounds dead centre of car have looked but no joy and new rubbers i ordered dont seem to be the right ones

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
help

ok ao i've had the car up on the ramp and cant find any broken brackets the new rubbers are not installed yet waiting for the weather to get better but still got the irritating knocking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts