SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do folks use for the rear muffler box hangers on the turbo style exhaust? The SAAB ones hang too low. The longest I've kept the rear box in the same place is with electrical wire and zip ties!!!

What brand and/or part number(s) do people use?

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I just used generic hangers from a local motor factors. They were very beefy though, and IIRC a pattern part of the pukka Saab items.

I don't have a pic of the main section rubber hangers, but this is the one that hooks on the tailpipe:

Could it be that the hooks on the rear silencer have become bent out of shape?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My rear hanger is fine and the end section of the exhaust is only a year or so old. It is definately the muffler hangers. I seem to machete my way through those Halfords 30mm/40mm rings in no time or simply unhook the exhaust and lose them over speed bumps (damn lowered car!!!). I have also tried the thick Halfords hanger chopped in half, but unhooked it on a speed bump the day I fitted it :roll:

Without serious abuse, I don't seem to be able to fit them without a full (and time consuming) dismantling of the rear part of the exhaust. Since they don't last too long, I've resorted to wire and zip ties. The SAAB hangers do last (forever?) but it does leave the muffler with only about 3" (maybe 4") ground clearance. The car is lowered, with new rear springs and new shocks all round, but swinging that low is no fun :nono; I have tried "setting" the height with jacks and stands and then clamping the mid-section and the rear part as tight as possible, but it still sags in the end; worse so without a full compliment of hangers.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Orca said:
What do folks use for the rear muffler box hangers on the turbo style exhaust? The SAAB ones hang too low. The longest I've kept the rear box in the same place is with electrical wire and zip ties!!!

What brand and/or part number(s) do people use?
I used a 4 gauge copper cable with double insulation and cable ties as well to hold my back box in place until i relised how little play it had in it, this stressed out the welds on the box and will cause early failure, which happened in my case, i would recommend trying different types shapes and sizes of rubbers, i found one while walking down the road, it must have fallen of a truck or something and its been perfect, its tight but wont allow the box to hit the car no matter what i do.

I added a 3 box in my saab at the tip end as i like it to be as quiet as possible without robbing any power, that has a nice thick rubber mount whichi also found on the road :), one other problem with the cable and zip ties is the exhaust note sounds different, i like it better when its all decoupled from the car.

I may have some spare rubber rings i could give you if you want to experiment?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts