SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've read lots about the infamous sump drop procedure and have a good idea of what to do. Many posters recommend taking off the exhaust after the exhaust manifold, the 3x13mm bolts accessible just under the exhaust heat shield. They recommend this so you can move the catalytic converter out of the way to gain access to some sump bolts and make room.

But no one ever mentioned anything about a gasket you'd have to replace when you do this.

Does anyone have a part number or pricing info on this small gasket? Will it come apart upon removal, or will it be intact enough to re-use?

Also - about the Loctite 518 Anaerobic Gasket Maker - no one mentions the Permatex surface prep spray you also have to buy (it is mentioned in the instructions on back of the Loctite 518 box. Does anyone just use the gasket maker by itself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You don't have to take the the cat out, just undo the connection at the turbo.
The joint at the turbo is tapered, no gasket required.
I've never used anything other than brake cleaner on a rag to prep the surfaces for 518, no leaks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just made it to the dealer in time (woke up late) just as they were closing to try and find that gasket, but they showed no gasket being present, which saves an extra hassle I suppose.

Thanks for the timely post response! This forum is a godsend....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts