SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have decided the first performance upgrades for my saab are going to be an exhaust and intake.

Intake- I originally was going to fabricate my own intake, but I was shown the intake on genuinesaab that comes with the metal heat shield. One of my concerns wit the cone filter is the heat in the engine bay. Do you think that the metal heat shield is really effective and worth buying or should i just fabricate my own intake without a heat shield?

exhaust- I am planing on getting a custom exhaust from an exhaust shop. First point is that I think I am goin to go catless. Second is what size piping would you suggest? I was originally going to go with 3inch, but im not sure. anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Forget the intake - it will just make more noise rather than gain you any power. Upgrade the DP to 3" and put the money you were going to spend on the rest of the exhaust and intake into a good X-flow IC. My 2 pence/cents

·
Registered
771 Posts
Shirozina said:
Forget the intake - it will just make more noise rather than gain you any power. Upgrade the DP to 3" and put the money you were going to spend on the rest of the exhaust and intake into a good X-flow IC. My 2 pence/cents
agreed, and btw don't be an *** and go catless, if it was a dedicated race car i wouldn't mind but the fact of the matter is your emitting a bunch of really stuff into the air because u want the extra 5-10hp

dp, mbc, intercooler, and 3" exhaust

what ever order you really want cuz you'll need a tune to get the most outta them, and since all stages cost the same might as well do the most you can before you get it tuned

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys, but as for the intake, if i did decide to do it in the future, do u think that heat sheild would make a difference or should i make my own and forget the heat sheild?

·
Registered
774 Posts
formula said:
thanks for the info guys, but as for the intake, if i did decide to do it in the future, do u think that heat sheild would make a difference or should i make my own and forget the heat sheild?
If you must put an open air intake on your car you should definately fabricate your own one, or rather forget about the kits where the filter is located next to the engine. Those heat shields are purely cosmetic.
The "good" place for an open air filter is behind the foglight in the bumper. That way you can make sure that the air is as cold as it gets. On the other hand the filter will be very exposed to dirt and especially water unless you fabricate some sort of splashguard to the bottom of the bumper.

My opinion is, that it simply is not worth risking engine components braking just to sound "cool". Because sound is the only thing it will give you.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
formula said:
I'm sure my post will elicit flack from a few people, but I don't care at all. :p

I have the genuine saab open air intake, I like it, it looks nice, it sounds nice, and I like that it allows the whole gas flow system to be free flowing. That said however, the heat shield DOES NOT keep all of the heat away from the filter, I'm currently in the process of "improving" the set up by using the shield to seal the filter off from the rest of the engine bay, I'm also planning on using a stick on insulator to help the shield stop even more heat. I like the kit because it keeps everything in a good position and fits well in the bay.

I have seen at least one custom box however that I personally would put my faith in (made by someone on this site), so if you have the wherewithal, you may want to give it a try.

As for the exhaust, a 3" down pipe is absolutely essential, and I would recommend you use a cat, I have the DP w race cat from genuine saab and I was very pleased with the results, I am also pleased with the fact that I'm not spewing out horrible gases from my tail pipe. After the cat you are going to want a 2.5-3" cat back, I also got mine from genuine saab, but that was my choice and you of course should do whatever you feel is best (I will tell you that I am very very pleased with my over all exhaust system, both in sound and performance).

Whatever you do though, good luck with it, and don't forget to have fun, a lot of people on this site seem to forget that aspect of life with a Saab.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not to say no to the idea of intake of exhaust as a first performance mod but I would go with handling issues first (5 pt brace, rear sway bar, steering rack brace and or suspension). Mostly because the car will feel 10x better and will probably be something you will notice (and will eventually need if you are going to go and get more upgrades later). Upgrading exhaust will provide little improvement, while these basic handling upgrades will allow you to feel safer and in more control of the car.

I just wanted to throw this out there... Good luck

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
tucksayre said:
Not to say no to the idea of intake of exhaust as a first performance mod but I would go with handling issues first (5 pt brace, rear sway bar, steering rack brace and or suspension). Mostly because the car will feel 10x better and will probably be something you will notice (and will eventually need if you are going to go and get more upgrades later). Upgrading exhaust will provide little improvement, while these basic handling upgrades will allow you to feel safer and in more control of the car.

I just wanted to throw this out there... Good luck
You mean 6 point brace right? ;)

And handling is very important when you start making more power, but not necessary at first. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i made my own custom intake, not really sure of the effects on performance because the car has a turbo on it, it just sucks in whatever air it needs! lol but it does sound pretty decent. i've tested air temps in and out of the box and it gives me a 20*F difference, obviously cooler in the box. it doesn't look too bad either.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i got my filter and pipe on ebay for 60 bucks

i think they still got them, they say there for 92x but worked for my car just fine, comes with two pipes, one doesn't fit, one does

seriously tho, it didn't make a diff till i heat wrapped it, the damn metal would would up to 200+plus degree! i know i took the laser thermomater to it

heat wrap brought that down to near ambient temps, it was alot better, granted i bought a whole roll of heat wrap off a ricer for 5 bucks lol

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
turbojohnny said:
i made my own custom intake, not really sure of the effects on performance because the car has a turbo on it, it just sucks in whatever air it needs! lol but it does sound pretty decent. i've tested air temps in and out of the box and it gives me a 20*F difference, obviously cooler in the box. it doesn't look too bad either.

This is the intake I said I would put my faith in on my earlier post. Just to be specific.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My intake setup looks almost exactly like turbojohnny's, just without the heatshield. I know this isn't anywhere near what could be considered an accurate test, but my cone filter always feels cool to the touch so I haven't bothered seperating it from the engine with anything.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
KSpark said:
My intake setup looks almost exactly like turbojohnny's, just without the heatshield. I know this isn't anywhere near what could be considered an accurate test, but my cone filter always feels cool to the touch so I haven't bothered seperating it from the engine with anything.
It can be cool itself and still be in a hot environment.

If you think about it, the mesh on the cone is very thin, so it will wick heat away pretty quick. When I did a little test with the GS intake where I used a professional temperature sensor. The air directly around the filter was 40 degrees warmer than the ambient air (outside the engine bay). This was when I first decided that I needed to improve this area, so far I haven't done much but plan upgrades, but I'll probably do some of them over the thanksgiving weekend, so I'll let you guys know if they help.

Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm all for free flowing cold air intakes that don't restrict power and that's why I have the stock airbox and paper filter. By my calculations a 40F intake temp rise should net you a tidy 5% power drop - nice:cool:. Boxing it in is thus the only solution but then you are back to something like the factory setup - you can't see the filter so it has no bling value and it's likely you won't be able to hear it as much as before either. As an 'old man' though I'm pehaps being a bit harsh - I guess you kids have to do something to keep you off the streets after school:cheesy:. Oh yes - handling. These cars absolutley suck in stock form (even for an old man) - I could easily live with stock power but I couldn't live with stock handling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shirozina said:
I'm all for free flowing cold air intakes that don't restrict power and that's why I have the stock airbox and paper filter. By my calculations a 40F intake temp rise should net you a tidy 5% power drop - nice:cool:. Boxing it in is thus the only solution but then you are back to something like the factory setup - you can't see the filter so it has no bling value and it's likely you won't be able to hear it as much as before either. As an 'old man' though I'm pehaps being a bit harsh - I guess you kids have to do something to keep you off the streets after school:cheesy:. Oh yes - handling. These cars absolutley suck in stock form (even for an old man) - I could easily live with stock power but I couldn't live with stock handling.
Here here 'old man'! I agree 100%. Stock box = way to go! Also stock handling != way to go! ;)

jerel

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Use your stock box, get a panel/drop-in K&N and replace the 2" intake pipe with a 3" pipe.

It'll cost <$60, and you'll see/feel the gains( I know I did). Also, none will be the wiser when they look @ the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've got an ITG panel filter (2bhp according to Abbott:roll: ) that was on the car when I got it but I though the car felt faster when I put in the paper filter to be honest. It's a lot quieter now and makes speed with less fuss which is what I like. During various testing procedures I did some runs with the actuator disconnected from the BPC - the car has absolutley no problem making power very fast and very hard (gearbox demolishing power:nono; ) and thus I can't see how there could be any possible restriction in the intake if it does this? The ECU holds back/ moderates power delivery by opening the wastgate during spoolup so how can improving the intake make any possible difference?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You're absolutely correct.
I'm selling all my K&N stock right now!!!
snake oil!!

Stop modifying your car. it's fastest stock!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts