SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had front pads and disc changed on my 2000 Saab 93 and since then I find quite a bit more brake dust (black stuff) on the front alloy wheels. Whenever I was the car the front alloys are fairly black whereas the back ones are much cleaner (haven't changed them recently but they are nearing the end of their life either).

Question is: does the amount of brake dust created by braking depend on age of pads, or brand, or anything like that? For all it's worth both new pads and discs are Mintex.

Ta.
Ash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,382 Posts
There are some low-dust pads, like EBC Greenstuffs and ceramic pads. Factory pads are really dusty, and I don't think anyone has said that Mintex pads put out much less dust than the stock ones. I have Akebono ProAct ceramic pads, and there's almost no dust on my wheels, even after a couple of weeks. The factory pads were absolutely horrible, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
Better wheel and dust shield design can, IMO, alleviate the dust "problem".... But this will not happen as long as the emphasis is on style and economy of manufacture..

And no matter, the brake dust must go someplace - if the wheels were well waxed or sealed, less dust would adhere and should easily be hosed off..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeremy R. said:
There are some low-dust pads, like EBC Greenstuffs and ceramic pads. Factory pads are really dusty, and I don't think anyone has said that Mintex pads put out much less dust than the stock ones. I have Akebono ProAct ceramic pads, and there's almost no dust on my wheels, even after a couple of weeks. The factory pads were absolutely horrible, though.
Thanks. Unfortunately we can't get those Akebono ProAct on this side of the Atlantic, as far as I'm aware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
ashimashi said:
Thanks. Unfortunately we can't get those Akebono ProAct on this side of the Atlantic, as far as I'm aware.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=akebono&btnG=Google+Search
I googled Akebono, a world wide company. But that does not mean that your local store is "on the ball" - they usually are not, unless an item has been on the market for a time..So, the consumer must do some digging....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, digging now... :)
Just remembered: I have also had front wheel bearing replaces. Could the excessive dust on front wheels have anything to do with that, i.e. ill-fitting of dust shields?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
ashimashi said:
thanks, digging now... :)
Just remembered: I have also had front wheel bearing replaces. Could the excessive dust on front wheels have anything to do with that, i.e. ill-fitting of dust shields?
Not as far as I know.

There is a back plate behind the wheel, but there is nothing between the rotor and the alloy wheel, so some of the dust which comes off the brakes lands on the wheel. Most of it on the inside, and some makes its way to the outside where you can see it. The fronts are worse than the rears because they do most of the braking, wear faster, and therefore make more dust.

The dust can become permanently embedded in the finish of the wheel, if you don't clean it every few months.

New front wheel bearings seem premature on a 2000 model, unless the mileage is very high, or unless there is some other kind of problem, like alignment, warped rotor or wheel, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PMI said:
New front wheel bearings seem premature on a 2000 model, unless the mileage is very high, or unless there is some other kind of problem, like alignment, warped rotor or wheel, etc.
Yes, you are right it was very premature, mechanic said the existing one was in perfect order. It was basically me beeing an eejit and asking him to do it because there was this noise that I thought might have something to do with the bearings and I could source them cheap so I did it. But it was a bit stupid!
But as somebody at the time said now I don't have to worry about them for the foreseeable future at least!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top