SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently removed the shims on my Seiko AC compressor & have been enjoying very cold air. The problem is that instead of the normal small drips on the ground, it looks like I spilled a 16oz soda. The condensation drip page will easily run from my can to another car if I'm parked on a hill.

I don't see any inside the car, and it's definitely water.

Any thoughts on why this is happening or if anything bad will result?

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
I don't see any inside the car, and it's definitely water.

Any thoughts on why this is happening or if anything bad will result?
Don't you want the water on the outside?
More seriously, the A/C drains may be partially clogged so that you store a certain amount of condensate.
Search A/C drains and Aquarium drains on this forum, then clean them.
It's the ideal DIY repair; it costs nothing.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
You're sure that you didn't remove too many shims?

It may be that the clutch is still driving the compressor even when the controls are not calling for clutch engagement. This pumps the low side down too low and causes icing of the coils/fins. It stays in the evap instead of draining out gradually drip by drip. When you shut down the car and go to work, the ice then melts and drains out all at once.

See if the same massive amount of condensate is produced when the car is running.

The evap temp switch (also called the anti frost thermostat) is there to prevent icing up of the coils. It has a capillary tube buried in the evap coils and, if functioning as designed, will denergize the clutch through the A/C relay when the temp in the coil reaches 35F. It cuts back in at 40.

Check that your clutch is fully disengaging when no A/C is called for and allowing the compressor to stop.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're sure that you didn't remove too many shims?
Sound advice Chengy; as always.

I've replaced one of the shims, but got caught up in spark plugs and taking apart the dash, then replacing tweeters, then replacing one of the instrument bulbs... Nothing like an impending road trip to get all the little things taken care of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts