SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have the exact instructions for setting the headlights to the "Rest of World" setting? I see it mentioned alot on here, but can't seem to find the exact instructions. I need the process to show my dealer so they stop telling me that it can't be done because it will disable the foglights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Instructions for rest of world DRL

would suggest a dealer does this, using Tech 2.

In Diagnostic Mode:
Diag>2003>9-3 Sport
Body>Exterior Lighting and Horn
Low beam adjustments.
F0. Auto Low Beam also in Pos 0.
Change setting to NO
6 seconds later,lights flicker and go out. Exit.

Then:
Go to:
Fog Lights Front.
Change to Position 1 & 2 ROW (Rest of World) Program and Exit.

This will give you:

Pos 0 > No Lights
Pos1 > Fogs and 5 Watt Headlamp / Parking Light
Pos3 > Low Beam, High Beam, Manual Control of Fogs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Exact instructions for TechII "Rest of World"

Gh0ztt said:
Does anybody have the exact instructions for setting the headlights to the "Rest of World" setting? I see it mentioned alot on here, but can't seem to find the exact instructions. I need the process to show my dealer so they stop telling me that it can't be done because it will disable the foglights.

Thanks!
Have these saved in a Word file, because I needed them to show to my service guy, too:

o In Diagnostic Mode:
o Diag>2003>9-3 Sport
o Body>Exterior Lighting and Horn
o Low beam adjustments.
o F0. Auto Low Beam also in Pos 0.
o Change setting to NO
o 6 seconds later,lights flicker and go out. Exit.
o
o Then:
o Go to:
o Fog Lights Front.
o Change to Position 1 & 2 ROW (Rest of World) Program and Exit.
o
o This will give you:
o
o Pos 0 > No Lights
o Pos1 > Fogs and 5 Watt Headlamp / Parking Light
o Pos3 > Low Beam, High Beam, Manual Control of Fogs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just spoke with the dealer. They said that the can make the first change, but that they won't change the lights to "Rest of world" because it allows you to have the high beams and the foglights on at the same time, which is illegal. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.............

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Gh0ztt said:
Well, I just spoke with the dealer. They said that the can make the first change, but that they won't change the lights to "Rest of world" because it allows you to have the high beams and the foglights on at the same time, which is illegal. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.............
What about other cars that just have simple foglgihts? You can't flash your highbeams with them on? I'm pretty sure I have done this. Unless the fogs go off? Never really checked...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Jet 9-3 said:
What about other cars that just have simple foglgihts? You can't flash your highbeams with them on? I'm pretty sure I have done this. Unless the fogs go off? Never really checked...
My previous car would allow hi beam flash with fogs on. The fogs would turn off during the flash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gh0ztt said:
Same problem here........no fogs for me....

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are correct. HIGH BEAMS ON = FOGLIGHTS OFF for most other cars. I don't understand why our cars cant be programmed to do the same. Would it be so hard to allow the low beams and fogs but then disable the foglights when the high beams are flicked on?

·
Registered
489 Posts
it took 2 attempts by my dealer to do it. I also gave the tech the same info as posted above, however, not sure exactly what he did.

dealers are independent businesses. some are more customer friendly than others. it is against the law in some States to be able to have the fogs or driving lights for that matter on with the high beams so they really don't have to do this for you.

of course, nothing beats driving down a dark country road with a pair of E-Code Hellas on high beam in conjunction with a pair of PIAA Pro 80 driving lights to light up the world! legal? naw. saving my rear from hitting numerous deer? priceless!

Jaime

·
Registered
87 Posts
don't need rest of world, in the options, select headlights on in position3 only
Anyone tried this on a 2008? I took it into Saab of Downers Grove, they claim it can't be done. They also said it is illegal to not have DRL's. To which I replied, so many cars are driving around illegally???

Took it Patrick Saab in Shamburg, IL. They said it can be done, but requires the reprogramming of 3 computers and will run $129 because it takes so long... So...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I called around just today and found a Saab shop that says he can change my '07 to ROW, so I'm guessing '08 will work as well.

First, he said "GM took away the setting change in '06, so it cannot be changed."
So, I asked about "ROW," to which he said "Yeah, well we can change the settings to ROW, but GM doesn't like it. I'll do it for you for $60, but you'll probably need to sign something stating you asked me to do it."

All this was after I called Sewell Saab here in the DFW area. First, they refused to make the change because it "The law requires all cars since 2006 to have DRTs." So, I went on the NHTSA site and did some research...

Turns out DRTs are NOT mandated by the NHTSA. Ironically, however, there are several reports noting that GM has been lobbying to make DRTs mandatory for several years! Hmmm. Even more interesting is a lengthy (>100 pages) NHTSA study that showed DRTs do NOT reduce traffic accidents at a statistically significant level. Furthermore, DRTs actually have a negative impact in some scenarios, and the NHTSA has received 1,000s of complaints regarding DRTs over the past few years.

I called Sewell back, and then they admitted its simply a policy at their dealership not to change the settings on the car from the factory settings. They were very polite, but geesh...

I have the report numbers if anyone is interested. I'll be making an appointment to get the lights switched to ROW sometime next week.

Now, here's my question. Are there going to be any unexpected negative ramifications involved with having the car changed to ROW (e.g., it won't cause my radio to tune in different increments- I believe the European radio range is somehow different to ours)?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anyone tried this on a 2008? I took it into Saab of Downers Grove, they claim it can't be done. They also said it is illegal to not have DRL's. To which I replied, so many cars are driving around illegally???

Took it Patrick Saab in Shamburg, IL. They said it can be done, but requires the reprogramming of 3 computers and will run $129 because it takes so long... So...
Yea, if anyone happens to have instructions for the 2008 can they please post it. I found a dealer willing to do it for me, but they said they needed the instructions for it. But yea, has anyone successfully done this on a 2008?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Nowhere in the USA is there a law requiring DRL's. Bet them money they can't show you a law.

Use a little inititative and search, the directions for later models are in here several times.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Accordboi,
I believe these are the instructions for your (and probably my) car. I had planned to take these in to the shop with me... The shop I'm using isn't a dealer, but they are a certified Saab service center- and they've assured me they have the TechII device (I don't know what the UEC is, but I'm hoping they have that equipment as well).

Tedjs had an opportunity to mess around with a TechII running the new version of the software, and found a new way to disable DRLs on his MY2007 vehicle. His procedure involves adding the UEC (UnderhoodElectricalCenter) to the system/CAN-network via the TechII tool (Essentially telling the car to talk to that module also. Kind of like setting up a workstation on a network). Once
UEC has been added to the system, reprogram it via TechII to run in one of the following modes:
------------------------------------------------
Alternative 1
When the light switch (10) is in position 0 or 1, none of the main lighting should be active.
In position 0, none of the parking lights should be active. (Germany + other markets).

Alternative 2
When the light switch is in position 0, dipped beams should be on (daytime running lights).
In position 0 it is not possible to switch between main and dipped beams (Sweden).

Alternative 3

When the light switch is in position 0 or 1, the dipped beams should be on.
In position 0 or 1 it is not possible to switch between main and dipped beams (Canada).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Accordboi,
I believe these are the instructions for your (and probably my) car. I had planned to take these in to the shop with me... The shop I'm using isn't a dealer, but they are a certified Saab service center- and they've assured me they have the TechII device (I don't know what the UEC is, but I'm hoping they have that equipment as well).

Tedjs had an opportunity to mess around with a TechII running the new version of the software, and found a new way to disable DRLs on his MY2007 vehicle. His procedure involves adding the UEC (UnderhoodElectricalCenter) to the system/CAN-network via the TechII tool (Essentially telling the car to talk to that module also. Kind of like setting up a workstation on a network). Once
UEC has been added to the system, reprogram it via TechII to run in one of the following modes:
------------------------------------------------
Alternative 1
When the light switch (10) is in position 0 or 1, none of the main lighting should be active.
In position 0, none of the parking lights should be active. (Germany + other markets).

Alternative 2
When the light switch is in position 0, dipped beams should be on (daytime running lights).
In position 0 it is not possible to switch between main and dipped beams (Sweden).

Alternative 3
When the light switch is in position 0 or 1, the dipped beams should be on.
In position 0 or 1 it is not possible to switch between main and dipped beams (Canada).
Thanks Varilux! I actually saw that post by Tedjs but wasn't sure if the '07 and '08 were any different. There seems to have been success turning off the lights with the '07 but have yet to see anyone posting they had successfully turned off their DRL on an '08. I just didn't want to go into the dealer and have them charge me an arm and a leg and say it can't be done. Thanks again though Varilux!

·
Registered
161 Posts
So is it easier to turn off the DRL's on the 03-05 cars? I went to one dealer and they said they used Tech II but that they couldn't do it because it would then turn off all of my other lights. I'm going to try another dealer though and see what they say.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Kudos to Varilux for using some initiative to find the directions for the later models.

And yes it is easier to do the earlier models, but you I believe you must have an earlier version of the Tech II software available

(Wow, this was anold thread reborn)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea, if anyone happens to have instructions for the 2008 can they please post it. I found a dealer willing to do it for me, but they said they needed the instructions for it. But yea, has anyone successfully done this on a 2008?
I must be located near to you as those dealers you mentioned before are close to me.

What dealer did you find willing to do it, and are they charging?
My closest is Lake Bluff

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.