SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this month's edition of the UK car mag EVO, writer Henry Catchpole has some rather unkind words for our fellow Saab enthusiasts. In his rant about slow driving lane hoggers, he actually says that these slow drivers "deserve to drive a Saab", in "Switzerland" no less. Hardly a worthy punishment for left lane prohibition if you ask me! The nerve!!

We need to take a stand my friends and tell EVO and Catchpole how the other half of the Saabers out there are the ones flashing you from behind!

His email is [email protected].

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Jaws said:
We need to take a stand my friends and tell EVO and Catchpole how the other half of the Saabers out there are the ones flashing you from behind!

His email is [email protected].

Thanks in advance!
I don't think Saab drivers are the angry flashing types.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The editorial by Catchpole was complaining about how some drivers drive at slow speeds in the passing lane and how they feel they own the road and that no one should go faster. They do not like it when getting passed and do nearly anything possible to avoid such a scenariio (getting passed). In this regard I have the same feelings as the author and I agree 100% with him.

Towards the end of said article he says that these same drivers "deserve to drive a Saab", in "Switzerland". This is the part I take exception to.

And yes, it is true, Saab drivers aren't generally angry flasher types, but we DO like to go fast and tend to adhere to the unwritten (and written) rules of the road.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Jaws said:
The editorial by Catchpole was complaining about how some drivers drive at slow speeds in the passing lane and how they feel they own the road and that no one should go faster. They do not like it when getting passed and do nearly anything possible to avoid such a scenariio (getting passed). In this regard I have the same feelings as the author and I agree 100% with him.

Towards the end of said article he says that these same drivers "deserve to drive a Saab", in "Switzerland". This is the part I take exception to.

And yes, it is true, Saab drivers aren't generally angry flasher types, but we DO like to go fast and tend to adhere to the unwritten (and written) rules of the road.
So Saab's are for boring level headed people is that what he is driving at there?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
liketheword said:
Ditto on that one. Maybe our GB brothers are more timid than we are...? :lol:
Apparently, they only go 45 MPH max and therefore deserve to drive a Saab!

FWIW, I actually quoted the author a tad wrong. It was another editorial in EVO which bashed lane hoggers. Instead, in the same issue (110), the Catchpole article stipulates that he hates tailgaters and those that "drive 45 mph everywhere they go". He says they "deserve to drive Saabs".

I'm surprised there aren't more EVO readers on this forum. It is a slick rag with the low down on all the euro and exotic cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lets cut Evo a bit of slack, its a great magazine and its sense of humour is sometimes a little left field.
I dont know of another car magazine who's writers can make me feel that i'm behind the wheel of cars i'll never be able to afford.
If you think that was a cutting remark about Saabs have a flick through some back issues...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
well saabs are sterotypically for middle of the road motoring for middle of the road drivers until we drop down a gear and floor it :cool:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I actually drove really slow once. It was relaxing, its what driving in no traffic feels like. Everybody who wants to get around you has to do the work.

But I got noplace.

I flash from behind, not in anger, only to draw attention of the fast moving vehicle coming up from behind.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pete67 said:
Lets cut Evo a bit of slack, its a great magazine and its sense of humour is sometimes a little left field.
I dont know of another car magazine who's writers can make me feel that i'm behind the wheel of cars i'll never be able to afford.
If you think that was a cutting remark about Saabs have a flick through some back issues...
Word - Sometimes I hardly know what they are talking about when they use that British sense of humor but I agree, it is a great mag. They reviewed the new 9-3 a few months back and I could hardly bear to read it. They do have a way of describing the vehicles' ride and handling that really does make you feel like you are right there in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Jaws said:
Word - Sometimes I hardly know what they are talking about when they use that British sense of humor but I agree, it is a great mag. They reviewed the new 9-3 a few months back and I could hardly bear to read it. They do have a way of describing the vehicles' ride and handling that really does make you feel like you are right there in the driver's seat.
The artical was that bad? Wow.... I wonder what they say about VW and Mercs...?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the link for the 9-3 review:
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/209424/saab_93.html

They said VW has better interior craftmanship FWIW. They gave some props for a pre-production AWD model. They gave the motor decent ratings but flogged the chassis for it's FWD ideosyncrasies. EVO is very much partial to BMW and the 3 series with its neutral balance, RWD and overall thrashability.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
liketheword said:
Ditto on that one. Maybe our GB brothers are more timid than we are...? :lol:
Haha, knowing myself I wouldn't be surprised, I'll bet they live longer than me though. :eek:

Just kidding guys. ;)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
I actually drove really slow once. It was relaxing, its what driving in no traffic feels like. Everybody who wants to get around you has to do the work.

But I got noplace.

I flash from behind, not in anger, only to draw attention of the fast moving vehicle coming up from behind.

I've given this a go once or twice too, but it is always (almost like it were an integral part of my nature) followed by a period of crazy acceleration.

Call me OCD but I feel the need to equalize that sort of sceneario.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts