SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back from deepest Wales from a trail riding weekend I was about a mile from home and gave the car a handful of WOT to clear its throat and at 1.7 bar boost in 5th about 400 yards from home the rear view disappeared in a cloud of white smoke! :cry: . I pulled up with a dead engine and smoke pouring out the exhaust, steam coming from the bonnet....hummmmmm, got to get another 100 yards then I can freewheel to my house. Go borrow some water and as fast as I pour it in it pours out of the front of the engine....:cry: :cry: . Only 100 yards...fire it up, takes ages to catch but get to the junction, down the hill with a dead engine and push it into my drive. These things are sent to try us....an hour later the heads off....

Oops the head gasket has given up the ghost after 56000 miles of running lotsa boost. Was expecting it really. However the head is spotless and as it didn't overheat no warping. Water in ever orifice though and I was lucky not to have hydraulic lock thanks to the fact the head gasket went totally allowing the water which I had poured into the cylinder to exit out the front of the block. The insulation on the spark plug tip had cracked all the way round due to thermal shock with the injection of cooling water, me thinks.

Now whilst the heads off, what else should I look at, been having a bit of engine oil misting out of the breather, so maybe change the pison rings. Thought I'd take the sump off just to check everything was okay.....filter had a few bits of silicon sealant on but not too much, a split chain roller from a previous chain failure maybe. Overall not to bad for 206000 miles.

Whilst the sumps off might as well take the balance chain off and check the timing chain too. Ironically the balance chain and sprockets were perfect but the lower timing chain sprocket had slightly hooked teeth so I ordered a new one piece chain and lower sprocket. Removed the balance chain and sprockets and was going to take the shafts out altogether and use the plugs I've had made for my 'race' engine but left them in and as the sprockets were removed this allows the shaft to be pushed in approx 6mm and thus blocks off the oil supply holes. To keep them in this position I loctited the alloy end bearing onto the shaft so I can still remove them at a later date if so required.

Now do I replace the rings.....they are quite expensive....but stick them on a card and bite the bullet. So go out and pull the pistons ready for the new rings, by the way the bores are perfect still got the hone marks on. Take out 2 and 3 pistons , check big ends look ok, remove 1 and 4, check big ends, hummm, No. 4 big end just starting on its way out...lucky lucky lucky....and on close examination No 1 bearing would be next to go if I'd left them in.....pleased I went for the rings now!! :cheesy:

So as I sit around and wait the new bits do a bit of engine cleaning...the wifes in Spain so......
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,259 Posts
Glad you didn't suffer too much damage, warped heads etc.
Hope your wife never surfs to this page to see that dishwasher abuse :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,975 Posts
marrk said:
...lucky lucky lucky....

lucky lucky lucky indead :eek: so a mondain head gasket failer stopped you from having catastrophic engine damage


like the use of the dish washer :cheesy:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top