SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Apologies for the long-winded post.]

Background: 2003 95 Aero 2.3L Turbo Automatic, ESP

Late this past Summer "something" was dripping on my driveway. My local mechanic (not Dealer, as the "local" Dealer is 2.5 hours away) whom I trust with general mechanical issues like wheel balancing and oil changes and whatnot diagnosed an engine oil leak which he fixed. Despite my insistence that he DRIVE the car in order to trace the leak, he simply put it on the lift and ran it for 20 minutes.

So "fixed" I bring it home. There's still a drip, but it's MUCH less than it was. We got some snow, which turned RED. ATF. Sure enough, it was low, so I topped it up.

At about the same time there was a grinding coming from the left-rear which sounded a lot to me like a failing wheel bearing. Mechanic found what he described as a "loose dust shield," which he fixed. Noise is gone. Yay.

Last week my traction control (ESP) system failed. Every time I put the car in gear and move about 3 feet, I hear the "ding" and the ESP light, the brake light, the antilock brake light, and the scary red triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle of it dead center of the speedometer all come on. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, sometimes not. And the speedometer is intermittent.

The code thrown is a 1625. Today I called the Dealer who told me that all this stuff is driven by data from a sensor on the left-rear wheel. I'm hoping that the mechanic loosened something while fixing the "dust shield". He's going to look at it for me tomorrow.

Assuming I'm not that lucky, what's likely really going on here?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any connections I can check/reset myself? I'm having trouble finding pics. I don't have a garage to work in, and it's a crappy time of year to be crawling under the car. :-(

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
No connections to check; it has to be removed and repaired or replaced you only have to remove the electrical portion. Send it out to BBA remanufacturing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finally got the car down to the authorized service center. They tried 2 new modules with no success. They suspect a wiring fault somewhere and suggest I "drive it conventionally." Point being it's probably not worth my money to pay them to find a short. I think they're right about that, but I want my ESP back!!

Can someone point me to a guide to troubleshooting this system? Or a good service manual to buy?

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
go to the rear wheel that has the issue, and remove the connector, examine it to make sure its in good shape, and the just follow the wiring. look for a chafed or damaged wire. Not complicated, certainly time consuming. Very rarely in my experience do ABS modules fail. It can certainly happen, but 99% of issues are wheel bearing/sensor/wiring faults.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As soon as I get a nice day, this is what I'm going to do. Is any one wheel more likely than another to fail? The fault is general. It's not saying which wheel sensor isn't reporting. :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts