SaabCentral Forums banner

ESP off and speed > 60 km/h, does it activate?

548 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EdT 
#1 ·
2003 model ESP.

I know I can only switch off the ESP/TC at speeds under 60 km/h. However, if I then exceed 60 km/h, the ESP OFF light stays on.

Does this mean that ESP is still off (as indicated by the lamp)? Or does it get switched on automatically, then deactivated when the car slows below 60 km/h?

I'm not sure what the logic might be if one is only allowed to switch it off at low speeds, but is then allowed to go as fast as the car can go. Maybe the assumption is that if you haven't put it into the ditch yet, you won't? Or maybe the assumption is that disabling ESP in the middle of a high-speed turn could send you off the road, because ESP was the only thing holding you on the road?

Anyway, the problem is that the TC part of ESP is basically worse than useless in heavy snow--it's actually a hindrance. It's so conservative in trying to prevent wheelspin, in prevents all forward progress as well. So I switch it off....but once I get going, I don't see how ESP would be a problem. I could switch ESP on and off, but this leads either to forgetting to switch it back on, or forgetting to switch it off at the next stop.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.