SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in BC Canada, it's usually nice. Just Yesterday we had a ton of snow, driving around in it, A lot of the time when ESP kicked in, I'd hear grinding? (like the snow or gravel hitting the wheel enclosure. ) I've had ESP kick in on wet roads and it never made a sound.

Then I tried going up a hill, with somewhat balding tires I got stuck, Needed my buddies to go outside and push, I wasn't going anywhere. Then all of a sudden, The car Jerks forwards, and both my ABS and ESP error lights come on. The SID says ABS error, see saab dealer, eSP error, see saab dealer (alternating between them) . I turn the car off for a bit, turn it back on, they are still there, But 5 minutes into driving they both turn off.

Also, ABS also makes a Grinding type sound, (and the pedal pushes back) never had a car with ESP and ABS, are these normal?

Thougts?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just finished Aero Academy and had plenty of opportunities to use ABS ... the noise you note is normal ABS noise

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I know when my ESP turns on, it is VERY noticable, and will slow you down instantly. I also know from other cars, that the ABS will make a crunching, grinding, pulsing noise. Completely normal.

As far as your warning lights coming on, i can't comment on that though

GL!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Snow can clog the sensors up and also give feedback that the car considers outside parameters leading to these errrors. If they have gone away then I would imagine that was your problem.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
SMHarman said:
Snow can clog the sensors up and also give feedback that the car considers outside parameters leading to these errrors. If they have gone away then I would imagine that was your problem.
This is true and all the noises you mention are normal.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Agreed.

The TCS operation has 2 modes - power reduction and ABS intervention.

Power reduction cuts in when both front wheels are spinning faster that the rear. If power reduction does not eventually equalise the speed differential between front and rear wheels the ABS intervention mode may operate.

ABS intervention occurs when one front wheel is rotating significantly faster than the other. It uses the brakes in ABS mode to slow down the spinning wheel and hence speed up the slower wheel through the differential. In this mode the brakes do clunk and grind a lot whilst the ABS does its bit to slow the spinning wheels down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts